Dalia Cracked Wheat (400 gm)
Dalia is made by cracking wheat and is full of fibre and nourishment. It has a high protein, iron and fiber content as it contains wheat bran and germ. Dalia is a perfect breakfast food. In India, two main dishes are cooked with this cereal : vegetable dalia and sweet dalia. See this recipe for the salty version. This cereal is a great addition to the vegetarian or vegan diet because of the nutrients it contains. Also called daliya or broken wheat.
Dalia or porridge, as it is called in English, is the Indian cracked wheat that makes a nutritious and sumptuous breakfast. It is also known as Bulgur wheat. Dalia has a chewy texture that becomes soft upon cooking.
One can also buy organic Dalia instead of the regular variety.
Health benefits of Dalia
- Dalia is high in fibre, protein, and iron. It contains wheat bran and germ.
- Dalia is also a rich source of carbohydrates, vitamins, and some minerals.
- Dalia also helps one reduce weight as its high fiber content makes people feel fuller for longer periods.
- The high fibre content also prevents constipation.
- Dalia has less fat content and is therefore, a good diet for people who are trying to lower their cholesterol levels.
- It is a good diet for people with diabetes as it has a low glycaemic index and is high in dietary fibers.
How to consume Dalia
Dalia is the ideal breakfast food as it is fibrous and fulfilling. We can cook Dalia as vegetable dalia or sweet dalia.
Let us learn a quick recipe of making sweet Dalia, also called wheat porridge.
Sweet dalia recipe- Serves 4 people
Ghee or cooking oil- 2 tsp.
Sugar- as per taste
Dalia- 1 cup
Milk - 2 cups
Cardamom powder- ½ teaspoon
Almonds and pistachios (well cut)- 1 tablespoon
- Wash Dalia well in clean water.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add the washed dalia and roast on low-medium heat with constant stirring till it starts to turn golden brown. It will take around 1 minute. This is an important step as one must not over roast Dalia (it will become hard).
- Add 2 cups of milk. Cook Dalia in milk with constant stirring till the milk boils. The dalia will soften and not be crisp anymore. Add cardamom powder, sugar, nuts, and raisins and let it simmer for another minute on a low-medium flame, with constant stirring.
- You can refrigerate Dalia once it becomes cool and eat it later or you can even eat it hot.
- This creamy, nutty, and delicious wheat porridge recipe makes for a super healthy breakfast and also a finger-licking dessert.
Looking where to buy Dalia online in Canada? We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.
Le dalia est faite à partir de blé concassé et est rempli de fibres et de nutriments. Il contient beaucoup de protéines, de fer et de fibres, car il contient le son et le germe de blé. Le dalia est un aliment parfait pour le petit-déjeuner. En Inde, deux plats principaux sont cuisinés avec cette céréale: le dalia aux légumes et le dalia sucré. Voir cette recette pour la version salée. Cette céréale est un excellent ajout au régime végétarien ou végétalien en raison des nutriments qu'elle contient.