Senna is a natural herb whose leaves come from the Cassia senna plant. Senna leaves are often sold as part of detox teas because they have a powerful laxative effect and can help relieve constipation. Senna leaves contain compounds called sennosides, which stimulate muscle contractions in the intestines. These muscular contractions help move stool through the bowels and help relieve constipation. The sennosides also boost secretion of water in the colon, which softens the stool and increases its bulk, making it easier to pass.
Senna is a natural herb derived from the different species of Cassia senna plant. Senna fruit, pods and leaves are often sold as part of detox teas because of their natural laxative effect.
What is Senna tea?
Senna herbal tea is the most popular product that comes from Senna leaves.
Senna tea is super easy to prepare. We will learn the recipe after learning some health benefits of Senna.
Health benefits of Senna
- Constipation Relief- Senna tea can help relieve constipation. It is a nonprescription FDA approved laxative. It is recommended to have senna tea before bedtime to get constipation relief the next morning. However, one should note that senna tea should not be used as a long-term solution for constipation.
- Hemorrhoids Treatment- Hemorrhoids are unpleasant swollen veins in the lower rectum that cause strained bowel movement. Hemorrhoids are quite unpleasant and senna tea help treat constipation and therefore, is a natural way to relieve hemorrhoids too.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)- IBS causes changes in bowel movement, such as constipation or diarrhea. As discussed earlier, senna leaves is a stimulant laxative and relieves constipation. Some scientific studies warrant the use of senna for alleviating the symptoms of IBS. But, one should use senna under the guidance of a doctor for treating IBS.
How to make senna tea from dried senna leaves
- Combine 1-2 teaspoons of senna leaves with one cup of boiled water.
- Let the senna concoction steep for 10 minutes. One should note that the tea gets stronger the longer it sits, and you can use your judgment to avoid making the tea too strong. You can also add some honey, fresh mint leaves, and lemon for flavor.
- You can also add teas like chamomile tea or peppermint tea to senna tea for a more pleasant taste and also to reduce gas or cramping.
Looking where to buy Senna Leaves online in Canada? We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.