It is commonly called mat bean, moth bean, matki, Turkish gram or dew bean. Whole moth beans can be cooked or fried. In India, particularly in the state of Maharashtra, moth beans are sprouted before cooking and used for making Usam (spicy stew). They can be used for breakfast or other meals.The Usal is essential part of the popular dish Misal Pav. 100g of raw, uncooked moth bean seeds contain 343 calories, 23 g of protein, 62 g of carbohydrate and 1.6 g of fat.
This cylindrical-shaped lentil is grown in the semi-arid regions of India. It is a nutrient-dense food that has shades of tan or light brown on the outside with the inner part being slightly yellow. Moth beans are a staple in many vegetarian dishes in the state of Maharashtra. The typical crunchy texture and sweet-nutty flavor of moth sprouts add a unique taste to various dishes. You can include this tiny little lentil in your diet either by cooking or frying it.
In Maharashtra, it is common to sprout moth beans before cooking. Once sprouted, they are used to make a spicy stew called Usam that is best enjoyed with Misal Pav. Though traditionally enjoyed with Pav, Moth beans goes well with rice as well as rotis. One can also churn out many more tasty delicacies using this healthy food like Moth sprout salad, Moth beans stir fry, Moth Pulav, cheela, chaat, and even dosas.
Health benefits of Moth beans -
- Antioxidant- Moth beans are loaded with antioxidants that help reduce the risk of catching infections
- Nutrient-rich- They are also a rich source of magnesium and potassium that helps reduce blood pressure
- Protein-rich- The protein-rich component of moth beans acts as a building block of bones, cartilage, muscles, and skin
- High in fiber- It’s higher fibrous content helps boost digestion
- Including moth beans in your diet on a regular basis is also said to reduce cholesterol levels
Moth Sprouts Salad Recipe
- Moth beans- ½ cups
- Water- 2 cups
- Onion- One small, finely chopped
- Tomato- One small, finely chopped
- Green chillies- 1 to 2, finely chopped
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Salt- As per taste
- Chaat masala- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 1/4 cups, finely chopped
Method to make sprouts
- Take a jar and soak ½ cup of moth beans overnight in 1 cup of water
- After around 10 to 12 hours, moth beans will double in size. Remove water and leave for 24 hours
- After 24 hours, add 1 cup of freshwater, and leave for another 6 to 8 hours
- You will get 1 to 1 ½ inches long sprouts
Method to make Moth sprouts salad
- Take sprouted moth beans and rinse them under water properly
- Transfer the sprouts to a serving bowl
- Add chopped onions, tomatoes, and green chilies
- Add salt, Chaat masala, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
- Do not store it as it will become soggy
Looking where to buy Moth Beans online in Canada? We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.