Moringa Powder is derived from Moringa, scientifically called moringa oleifera. The tree, originally a native of Nepal and India is also known with interesting names like the “miracle tree”, “drumstick tree”, or the “tree of life”. Today it is widely grown in Latin America, Africa, and Asia and is also called the “horseradish” tree.
Moringa Powder is a nutrient-packed superfood derived from the leaves of the Moringa tree. It has scientifically-backed miraculous health benefits.
This green herbal remedy has been used in the phytomedicine and Ayurvedic system of medicine for almost 1000 years. Today, it is also sold in capsule form for easy intake.
Flavor and taste of Moringa powder
Moringa Powder is obtained from dried and ground Moringa leaves. It is green in color. It has a mild spinach-like flavor with a slightly earthy taste.
Here are some health benefits of this green superfood:
- Nutrient-rich- Moringa leaves have 7 times more vitamin C than oranges and 15 times more potassium than found in bananas. It is also rich in iron, calcium, and many amino acids.
- Protein-rich- Moringa Powder is a very rich plant-based protein source. It helps in cell growth, healing of the body, and building muscle.
- Immunity booster- It is a powerful antioxidant which means it has substances that protect your cells from damage and help fight against disease thus enhancing your immunity.
- Balances hormones- Moringa leaf extract also boosts happy hormones like Serotonin and Dopamine. It is said to be good for thyroid health and improve sleep patterns and energy levels.
- Good for sexual life- Studies on rats have revealed that it suppresses cortisol and enhances the production of testosterone naturally thus causing improved sexual health.
- Can be good for the liver- Some research has also shown Moringa to slow down liver fibrosis and prevent liver damage. Also, polyphenols present in Moringa are believed to reverse oxidation in the liver.
- Good for digestion- The anti-inflammatory properties of Moringa can help cure stomach ailments like ulcerative colitis and gastritis. Moringa is also rich in fiber and can address the problem of constipation and regulate your bowel movements.
- Good for diabetes- Moringa Powder is known to control blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
- Good for heart health- Studies on animals have shown Moringa extract to be good for heart health.
- Good for brain health- The high content of vitamin C and E help beat the oxidative stress associated with Alzheimer's. Studies on animals have proven that Moringa is a good option for people suffering from Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
Precautions while using Moringa powder
Despite the above-mentioned health benefits, it is best to use Moringa powder under the guidance of a health practitioner. It is not safe to consume if-
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. Certain chemicals found in the Moringa flower, bark, or roots may cause the uterus to contract.
- It may also have an opposite laxative effect leading to stomach upset if taken in large quantities.
How to consume and use Moringa Powder
It is best to start with small doses of Moringa powder, ½ to 1 teaspoon each day.
- Start your day fresh by adding Moringa powder to your morning smoothie or by having Moringa tea with honey.
- It can be a good addition to your baking dishes such as bread, cakes, and naans.
- It makes for the best caffeine-free substitute for coffee. Just add a bit of powder into hot water and whisk to form a matcha-type drink.
- One can find Moringa tea bags or Moringa Leaf infusions in the aisles of many supermarkets.