MDH Rajmah Masala (100 gm)
MDH Rajma Masala Powder.
Red kidney beans or Rajma (called in local parlance) is a protein rich diet, loaded with a flavorful taste.
This versatile food can be used in multiple ways, Rajma curry being the most widely prepared recipe with Rajma as the base ingredient. Rajma rice or Rajma Chawal, as popularly called, is a heavenly combination of Rajma curry with steamed rice. Rajma Chawal is relished by people worldwide, especially in South Asian countries.
What is Rajma
Rajma or red kidney beans originated in India and are grown widely in the northern states of the subcontinent.
Chickpeas or Chole, Dal makhani, and Rajma are the most commonly prepared vegetarian curries in India.
I so fondly remember my mother preparing any of the above 3 Curries for my vegetarian friends.
On this nostalgic note, let’s quickly learn how to make the yummy Rajma curry.
- Rajma- One cup
- Water- 1.5 cups (for soaking)
- Cooking oil- 5 tablespoons
- Salt- As per taste
- Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
- Rajma Masala- 1 tablespoon
- Onions- One medium sized, finely chopped
- Tomatoes- One medium, finely chopped
- Garlic- 4 cloves, finely chopped or well crushed
- Ginger- 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- Green chillies- 1, finely chopped
- Coriander- finely chopped for garnishing
- Ghee- 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Wash the Rajma well and soak it overnight. Next day, pressure cook Rajma along with water for 10 minutes.
- In a separate thick bottomed pan, add cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions, garlic, and ginger. You could even use fresh ginger garlic paste. When the onions turn golden brown, add diced tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook for almost 15 minutes. Add salt, turmeric powder, and Rajma Masala and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the boiled kidney beans into the above masala and let the curry simmer on a low flame for another 15 minutes. This simmering on a low flame blends the flavor of all spices well with the Rajma curry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and relish with steamed rice.
- You can also add a tablespoon of hot ghee over your Rajma Chawal to enjoy this delicacy even more.