Poha, a crunchier and lighter version of rice is one which has been parboiled, rolled out, flattened and produced as flakes by drying it out. Poha is a good source of carbohydrate, iron as well as a good probiotic as the grains undergo partial fermentation during the soaking process. A variety of snacks and breakfast options can be prepared with poha and we bring one of the traditional, quick and easy ones to you today!
If you are in a rush or travel very often, the MTR 3 minute breakfast Poha is definitely one of the go-to's. This product does not have any added preservatives and is a quick and filling option, especially when you are craving Indian breakfast. All you have to do is add hot water to the mix, cover it and let it sit for three minutes! Your Poha is ready! How easy is that? It is quick and a great option for when you are on the go.
Now, for when you have a little more time, here is an amazing Poha recipe for you.
Flattened rice(Poha)-2 cups
Peanuts- ½ a cup( You can add more or less according to your preference)
2 medium-sized onions
2-3 green chillis
Lemon juice-2 teaspoons
Curry leaves (15 to 20)
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon asafoetida (Hing)
Salt to taste
Cooking oil-3 to 4 teaspoons
Chopped coriander for garnishing
- Wash and soak in poha in water for ten minutes
- On medium flame, roast the peanuts for two to three minutes and keep this aside
- In a pan, add the oil and once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, and the green leaves.
- Sautee this for about 10 seconds and add the finely chopped onions.
- Add salt to this, cover and let it cook till the onions turn soft and turned a light golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder and add very little water to allow the turmeric powder to cook.
- Add the soaked poha along with the peanuts and mix it well. Allow this to cook for a minute on low flame.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with the chopped coriander and lemon juice (optional)
- For a more crunchy texture, don’t forget to add some bhujia/sev.
This recipe can be modified and you can include vegetables of your choice such as potatoes, green peas, carrots, and baby corn.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 600 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!