Gajar ka halwa, or Carrot halwa, is one of the most popular North Indian desserts that is usually prepared during the winter. This hot, orange and delectable concoction will warm you up and also blissfully leave your stomach wanting more.
The main ingredients that are required to make this fantastic dish are, of course, juicy carrots, ghee, full-fat milk, sugar, cardamom powder and khoya (special Indian dairy product made with dried or thickened milk).
There are three types of khoya. The first is the softest and has the most tender texture and this is known as chikna khoya. This has the highest moisture content amongst the three and is used to make sweets like halwa, rabri and gulab jamuns. The second is the grainy khoya and is called danedar khoya. This type of khoya gets this texture because of the lemon juice added while it is being made. The third type is the firm and hard khoya, known as batti khoya, which is used for making laddoos.
Now, allow me to treat you to the experience of being able to revel in this mouth-watering dish, by guiding you on how to make it yourself.
Ghee - 2 teaspoons
Raisin - and Cashewnuts - 1/4 Cup
Carrot - 1/2 Kg
Milk - 2 Cups
Sugar - 1 Cup
Cardamom - 1 Pinch
Khoya - 1 Cup
- Grate the carrots into tiny pieces using any grater of your choice.
- Gently heat the ghee on a pan under medium heat.
- Once the ghee is properly melted, add the grated carrot pieces and sauté them well.
- Cook slightly for two-three minutes and stir periodically to be greeted with the strong aroma of the carrots.
- Add some cool milk and continue stirring.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer.
- Ensure that nothing sticks to the pan with the help of the spatula when the milk begins to evaporate.
- Once the mixture is dry, add the khoya to bring it to a rich and creamy consistency.
- Add sugar, mix and allow it to melt.
- Mix in cardamom powder and allow the mixture to boil.
- Stir the mixture for around 15 minutes till the excess liquid dries out.
- Turn off the stove, garnish your carrot halwa with almonds, cashews, and raisins to elevate its texture and mix well.
- Serve the dish warm or chilled and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you are looking for a marriage made in heaven.
Share this incredible delight of a dish with your family and friends. It may take some time to prepare but I can assure you that the wait will definitely be worth it! Also do not forget to try our frozen carrot halwa! It takes only minutes to make and definitely have you coming back for more.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 600 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!