Sesame is a storehouse of health. Manufacturers have incorporated the inconspicuous Sesame into many products to avail its maximum benefits. Sesame Chikki utilizes the benefits of Sesame and jaggery to dish out flavorful dessert that finds its fan base in all age groups.
What is Sesame Chikki
Sesame Chikki is a sweet bar, typically prepared during Lohri and Makar Sankranti. Sesame Chikki is also popular as chikki, tilgur, or til gajak. This traditional bar has a long shelf life and makes for a truly healthy snack.
Texture of Sesame Chikki
Sesame Chikki treats you to a burst of flavors, ranging from crunchy and crispy to chewy and sticky.
How to prepare Sesame Chikki at home
- White Sesame seeds- 1 cup
- Jaggery- 1 cup
- Ghee- 1 tablespoon
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on a low-medium flame until they turn golden. Roast the seeds with constant stirring, taking care that they don’t burn. Once the seeds start to crackle and turn golden brown, turn off the gas.
- Heat a separate container on low-medium flame and add ghee and jaggery to it. Keep stirring continuously till jaggery melts and starts bubbling. The mixture should change colour to slightly dark brown.
- Lower the flame and add roasted sesame seeds to the jaggery and ghee mixture. Mix well so that jaggery syrup coats well.
- Now, quickly without wasting time, spread this warm mixture on a greased thali, using a greased rolling pin. You can spread the mixture evenly keeping the thickness to medium.
- Cut the pieces into 1 inch squares once the mixture is still warm. Let the pieces cool for 10-20 minutes. Your Sesame Chikki is ready!
- You can store it in an airtight container for a month.
Note: Take care that sesame seeds do not burn and jaggery does not become too dark in color. Otherwise it will give a bitter and burnt taste to the recipe.
Also, pour the entire mixture onto the greased plate immediately or else it will turn hard.
You can also use 1/2and 1/2 white and brown sesame seeds. You can also use jaggery powder instead of Jaggery.
Health benefits of Sesame Chikki
- Both iron and jaggery are a storehouse of iron. Sesame Chikki is a good snack for pregnant ladies to boost their hemoglobin levels. It makes for an excellent treat for kids also.
- Sesame seeds are rich in healthy fats and antioxidants.
- Sesame seeds also aid digestion and boost hair growth.
- Sesame and jaggery have heat inducing properties and are considered good to consume during the cold winter days to boost energy.
Many prestigious brands like Bikano and Haldiram's sell ready-to-eat Sesame Chikki. Bikano Chikki Assorted has an assortment of healthy-yummy chikkis to satiate your sweet cravings!
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!