Ragi (finger millet) is one of the Indian staples which is high in fibre content and low in cholesterol. It is an excellent carbohydrate substitute and due to its high dietary fibre content, its great for those looking to shed some pounds. Today, we are going to look at two simple and quick recipes using this amazing ingredient.
Ragi Mudde- A quick snack or a power packed meal!
Often called as "Ragi balls" by those who have not heard of it, Ragi mudde is a nutritious and sumptuous snack or meal you can have. I would suggest to slight twist on this traditional snack. Without further ado, let us take a look at this simple yet satisfying recipe.
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
2. To this add the required amount of salt.
3. Once the water comes to a boil, turn down the heat and add 3-4 tablespoons of the ragi flour.
4. Whisk this and ensure there are no lumps.
5. Simmer the flame and allow it to cook and bring it to a nice semi-thick consistency.
6. Now for the tiny twist, add some finely chopped nuts of your choice. ( Peanuts and walnuts make an amazing combination).
7. Roll into balls with ghee and savour into one!
You can make bite-sized ragi balls and grab a couple after your work out! It is an excellent snack and you can store them for up to a week in the freezer.
Onion Ragi Dosa
1. To one cup of ragi flour, add a quarter cup of rice flour.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of fresh curd and mix thoroughly
3. Rest this mixture for half an hour.
4. Add one finely chopped onion, 2 green chillis, freshly chopped coriander and 1 teaspoon of chilli powder.
5. Bring this to a watery batter consistency with water.
6. Grease your tawa with some oil and when it is hot, pour the batter and spread it.
7. Once one side is cooked through, flip and cook the other side.
8. Once the dosa is brown and crisp, serve hot with your favourite chutney!
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 500 products that can be ordered for delivery now!
Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!