If you have grown up in India and love all things Indian, there is no surprise that you have tasted the modest recipe of Poha.
Poha is perhaps the most versatile dish that undergoes transformation to suit the palate of people living in different states of India. You travel every hundred kilometers and discover a new variant of this dish. But, whatever the transformation, the basic ingredient of Poha is the flattened rice or chiwda.
The dish owes its origin to Maharashtra and is a staple in the state. It is known as Kande Poha in Maharashtra.
Today, let me tell you a simple Poha recipe that is quick to prepare and is favorite as a morning breakfast, Indian brunch, or midday snack.
Poha is super easy to make. Poha is a rich source of fiber, iron, carbohydrate, and a good probiotic too.
The following recipe serves four people and takes only 20 minutes to prepare.
- Poha (flattened rice)- 3 cups
- Potato- 1 big, chopped into small & thin pieces.
- Onion- 1 big, finely chopped
- Green peas- ½ cup
- Carrot- 1 diced
- Green chilies- 2-3 finely chopped
- Curry leaves- 10
- Handful of peanuts
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Lime juice- ½ tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
- Bhujia Sev (optional)
- Pomegranate (optional)
- Wash Poha in a strainer under running water for 3-4 mins. Keep washed Poha aside, let the water drain.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, add oil and let it heat on high flame. Add mustard seeds till it crackles. Next, add curry leaves, chopped potatoes, and ground nuts.
- Cook chopped potato pieces till they become tender. Add onions, green peas, diced carrots, and finely chopped green chilies. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes of sautéing to cook these vegetables.
- Add salt, turmeric, and lime juice at this point.
- Mix well and add Poha.
- Let the Poha cook for 1 to 2 mins on low heat.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander, fresh pomegranate seeds, and some Bhujia Sev (optional) and relish the delicious Poha.
Note: You can enjoy Poha with bread and hot masala chai. It also makes for an excellent lunch snack for kids.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!