If you have lived in the Indian subcontinent, there is no doubt that you have grown up eating Shakarpara or Namak Para during every festive occasion.
This crispy fried Indian snack is extremely popular during Holi and Diwali.
Shakarpara, as the name explains, is a sweet snack while Namak Para is savory and salty. Another variety, Methi Namak Para is prepared by adding dried methi (fenugreek) leaves and makes for a hot favorite among all age groups. It also makes for a great tea time snack.
The sweet variety (Shakarpara) is normally flavored with cardamom powder.
Today, let us quickly learn how you can prepare Methi Namak Para-
Methi Namak Para
Total cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Resting time: 30 minutes
White flour (maida)- 1 ½ cups
Wheat flour- 1 ½ cups
Cooking oil- 3 tbsp
Cumin powder- 2 tsp
Caraway seeds (ajwain)- 2 tsp
Chili powder- 1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Kasoori methi- 1 cup
Water- 1 cup
Canola oil (for frying)- 2 cups
- Except cooking oil, mix all ingredients in a bowl to make a dough.
- Keep the dough aside and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Make 6 equal parts of the dough. Use a rolling pin to make a 1-2 mm thick layer out of each part.
- Use a knife to cut diamond shapes in each part.
- Heat cooking oil on a medium high heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add a handful of the cut diamond shapes gently to the oil.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. In between, use a stainless steel slotted spoon to gently flip them so that they cook evenly from both sides.
- Once cooked, remove from oil and place Namak Para on a tray lined with a paper towel so that extra oil is absorbed.
- Continue the same procedure until all diamond shapes are cooked.
- You can store freshly made Namak Para in an airtight container in a cool and dry place for a month.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!