Come October and November, the spirit of festivals and celebrations are in the air. Navratri, Dussehra, Karva Chauth, Diwali, Govardhan Pooja and Bhai Dooj, these Hindu festivals add a tinge of color and devotion in your life!
From decorating your homes to donning the best of your clothes and jewellery, to dishing out delectable platter and sweets, these occasions mark the most extravagant celebrations in your household. People buy new clothes, decoration pieces, dry fruits, sweets and gifts for their friends and family.
The best rituals are celebrated together with the purity of love and affection. In many households, ladies dish out various delicacies to commemorate the festival. Coconut is considered auspicious, a symbol of good luck and prosperity. Coconut is offered to Lord Ganesha and distributed as prasad.
Coconut barfi is a delicious sweet made easily with simple ingredients. Let’s make this festive season more joyous and jubilant by preparing coconut barfi at home. Here is our perfect recipe for the same-
- Grated coconut, desiccated coconut or coconut powder- 3 cups
- Sugar- 2 cups
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Cream (optional)- 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 tbsp
40 minutes (10 minutes prep time and 30 minutes cooking time)
- Take freshly grated coconut, desiccated coconut or coconut powder in a big pan.
- Add sugar and milk. Mix all the ingredients well on a medium flame till the mixture thickens. This takes around 10 minutes.
- At this point, add cream and stir continuously in medium flame. After 20-25 minutes, the coconut mixture starts to separate from the pan.
- As the mixture thickens, remove from the stove, add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased plate lined with butter paper. Let it set for some time, till it completely settles.
- Cut it into desired shapes- square, diamond, rectangle or heart shaped. You can store it for a week in an airtight container in a refrigerator.
Points to remember
- Use fresh coconut instead of desiccated coconut or coconut powder to get a soft barfi
- Add sugar as per your taste
- Cook longer if you want hard barfi, for soft barfi cook less
- Garnish with chopped nuts, if you want
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 700 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!