I love gorging on noodles. Well, I think most of us do but if you’re looking for a healthier version of noodles, then Vermicelli is your best bet.
What is Vermicelli?
Vermicelli recipes are popular in India. Vermicelli, also known as Seviyan or Semiya, is used to prepare a variety of dishes such as Seviyan Kheer, or a savory breakfast dish called Upma.
Upma recipe using Vermicelli- Semiya Upma
Upma is a light breakfast prepared using Vermicelli, lentils, peanuts, traditional spices, and herbs. Upma has many variations that also include ingredients like sooji, sabudana, poha, millets, oats, and quinoa. Today let’s learn the recipe of preparing Vermicelli Upma (Semiya Upma), a delectable breakfast to start your day.
- Uncooked Vermicelli noodles- 2 cups
- Ghee- 4 tablespoons
- Peanuts- 10-12
- Onion- 1 medium-sized finely chopped
- Carrot- One small finely grated
- Green chillies- 1 finely chopped
- Curry leaves- 6 to 7
- Ginger- One small slice grated
- Chana Dal- 1 tablespoon (soaked for 2 hours and then water strained)
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Hing- A pinch
- Chopped coriander- 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice- 1.5 teaspoons
- Add 2 tbsp ghee to a thick bottomed pan and let it heat on a medium high flame.
- Add vermicelli noodles once the ghee melts.
- Roast the vermicelli noodles for about 30 seconds with constant stirring.
- Skip the above three steps if you already have bambino roasted vermicelli. You need not roast the already roasted vermicelli.
- At this point, add some water and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, cover the pan on low medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Turn off the heat once the water is absorbed.
- In a separate pan, dry roast the peanuts, on a medium heat. Keep stirring till they turn golden and crunchy. Transfer the roasted peanuts to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tbsp ghee. Then add mustard seeds, soaked Chana Dal, curry leaves, chopped green chilies, grated carrot, chopped onions, and salt.
- Shallow fry the onions till they turn golden. Now add Hing and finely grated ginger. Stir for a minute till you smell the aroma of ginger. The yummy masala is ready.
- Now add the above Masala to the boiled Vermicelli along with roasted peanuts.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring gently.
- Garnish the Upma with chopped coriander and lemon juice. Savor the delicious breakfast to your heart's content!
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!