Are you a vegetarian who yearns to try those chunks of meat when hanging out with your non-vegetarian friends? Hey, don’t be disillusioned anymore! Here is a dish that perfectly satiates the palette of vegetarian foodies who are fascinated by the sumptuous non-vegetarian varieties.
Any guesses for this one? It is the irresistible Soya Chaap!
Soya Chaap is a fairly new addition to the veggie menu but has soared in its popularity among gourmet enthusiasts. Foodies love to gorge on this seekh kabab-like mock-meat variety; it gives them a perfect chance to dig on those chunks of Soya just like chicken nuggets or mutton kebabs.
What is Soya Chaap made of?
As the name explains, Soya Chaap is made from nutritious soya chunks and soya bean flour with some all-purpose flour (maida). One can also use whole wheat flour instead of maida for a healthier version. The dough is made of all these ingredients and then wrapped around skewers or wood sticks to give it a meat-like appearance.
How does one eat Soya Chaap?
There are quite many varieties of Soya Chaap that help recreate the magic of meat-like recipes.
- Soya Chaap Curry- Soya Chaap is most popularly enjoyed as the gravy variety. The Soya Chaap curry loaded with spicy masalas is relished best with roti or naan.
- Soya Chaap Tikka- The succulent Soya Chaap Tikka can be eaten as a snack.
- Soya Chaap Rolls- The delectable Soya Malai Chaap rolls have also gained prominence of late.
- Soya Chaap Sizzlers- Much to the delight of foodies who prefer a plant-based diet, many barbeque restaurants also serve the tasty Soya Chaap as sizzlers.
- Soya Chaap Street Style- Many street cart hawkers sell the creamy Soya Chaap Masala and Tandoori Soya Chaap with paper-thin roomali roti or naan. Tandoori Chaap street-style with mint chutney tastes just heavenly. It makes for a delicious evening snack for hungry souls who love something bold yet earthy.
However, the process of making Soya Chaap is a bit cumbersome, and therefore, many stores sell frozen or canned Soya Chaap that is easier to dish out.
In short, Soya Chaap is a highly proteinaceous variety that makes for the best alternative to meat in a vegetarian diet. It is a welcome treat for vegetarians who are bored with their overexposure to the diverse representations of paneer and malai kofta.
Today, as the world is moving towards a more plant-based diet, Soya Chaap will rule the roost for its high protein content.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!