Who doesn’t like long flowing hair with a satiny, silky feel? What if a herbal powder fulfils all your dreams of a luxuriant mane?
You might be wondering that in the era of shampoos, hair gel, and conditioners, a herbal powder for lustrous hair? Doesn't it sound too unglamorous?
Well, this is no ordinary powder but a powder extracted from Shikakai, a climbing shrub native to Asia. It is enriched with Shikakai that contains Vitamin A, C, D, E, and K, good for scalp health and hair nourishment.
It has many other properties that make it ideal for hair care.
For most of us who have grown in the 1980s and 1990’s in India, the iconic Shikakai ad still reverberates in our ears. The demure damsel sashaying her silky smooth tresses has a vivid image in my memory. The commercial was of Shikakai soap, a product derived from the Shikakai plant.
The result is soft, shiny, and easily manageable hair.
This herbal powder lathers well and suits all hair types. It is a natural conditioner and therefore, you do not need to buy extra conditioners.
Here are some benefits of using Shikakai powder in your hair care regime.
- It’s herbal ingredients are beneficial for hair and scalp health.
- It gives effective protection against dirt.
- It is believed to prevent dandruff and flakes.
- It helps in exfoliating the scalp by increasing the blood flow.
- It also adds volume to your hair and strengthens your hair roots.
- It adds shine and makes your hair healthy, soft, and supple.
- Shikakai has some vital properties that help treat the dryness of the scalp and act as coolants for the scalp.
How to make Shikakai paste?
Shikakai can be powdered, mixed with water, and used as a paste on the hair instead of shampoo.
How to use Shikakai paste on your hair?
- Apply the paste evenly by gently spreading it all over your hair.
- Let it remain for 15 minutes before rinsing off with clean water.
- Pat dry and enjoy smooth lustrous hair.
If you have rough, frizzy, and lifeless hair, then you try the following remedy.
- Reetha powder- 2 tbsp
- Shikakai powder- 2 tbsp
- Amla powder (for severe hair fall and weak roots)- 1 tsp
- Take all ingredients in the same ratio depending on the length of your hair.
- Soak all the ingredients overnight in a glass bowl of warm water.
- Mix all the ingredients properly and strain the liquid in the morning.
- Use this strained water as shampoo on hair.
- Repeat a couple of times more with the remaining water, if it still feels greasy.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 700 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!