Roasted Daria or Daria Split is commonly available as Roasted Chana Dal split. It is also called Horse Gram Roasted.
This nutritious dal is obtained by roasting the Chana Dal. It is then packed and sold in packets at stores. Once roasted, the Chana Dal (Roasted Daria) becomes crispy and aromatic with a rich nutty and creamy taste.
How to use Roasted Daria?
One can also consume Roasted Daria as a snack. There is no need to cook it. You can spruce it up with chopped onions, diced tomatoes, chopped coriander leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and some lime juice. The snack is free of any extra calories and makes for a sumptuous treat too!
Spicy Roasted Daria snack is available in stores also.
Roasted Daria can also be crushed and used as a coarse powder in recipes.
How to buy and store Roasted Daria?
- Roasted Daria is readily available in stores. However, one can also prepare it at home easily.
- If buying a ready-made variety, inspect if the beans are dried and tight. The packaging should be airtight and dry.
- At home, store Roasted Daria in a cool and dry place, in an airtight container.
Nutritional Profile of Roasted Daria
Roasted Daria is rich in minerals such as copper, phosphorus, iron, manganese, and folate. It is also a good source of protein and dietary fiber.
Culinary uses of Roasted Daria
- In chutneys- Simply pound Roasted Daria with some curry leaves, roasted peanuts, chili powder, cumin seeds, coriander powder, salt and yogurt to make a smooth Chutney paste. One can skip roasted peanuts if they are not available.
- Spice powder- Grind Roasted Daria with roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, dry coconut, whole red chilies dry, and salt. Make a smooth paste by adding some Ghee. This makes a delicious spice powder/paste. Relish it with Upma, Idli, Dosa, or Uttapam. One can make the spice powder in large quantities and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It is good to use for 15 days.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!