Paan khaye saiyan hamar, this popular Hindi song summarizes the importance of Paan among Indians. For the unversed, Paan or betel leaf is an edible enjoyed by the majority of South-Asian populace. It is often eaten at the end of a sumptuous meal to digest the heavy food.
Among the many ingredients that one uses to make a delicious Paan, Raja Chuna is normally the first one added. Raja Chuna is applied as the white lime paste and forms the base coat while preparing Paan. However, Raja Chuna is added in very small quantities.
Additionally, Raja Chuna is an ingredient in supari and lime chutney also.
What is Raja Chuna
Raja Chuna is an edible Lime, also known as calcium hydroxide. Sometimes, Raja Chuna is also called pickling lime. One should note that only the best quality calcium hydroxide is used to make Raja Chuna.
The main ingredients in Raja Chuna are lime and water.
It is best stored in a cool and dry place.
Make sweet Paan at home using Raja Chuna
Preparation time- 5 minutes, serves 1
- Betel Leaf- 1 piece
- Raja Chuna- very little, just to add a fine layer
- Katha (optional)- very little, just to add a fine layer
- Chopped Areca nuts (Supari)- 1-2 small pieces
- A few Coconut slices and saffron strands
- Gulkand- ½ tspn
- Fennel seeds- 1 pinch
- Green Cardamom (optional)- 1-2
- Take the betel leaf and remove its stem. Spread Raja Chuna and then Katha. Shape the betel leaf into a cone.
- Add all other ingredients and close it carefully. Paan is ready.
- You can finally close Paan with a toothpick and add cherry to it.
Note: You can also use mouth freshener or colorful saunf instead of fennel seeds.
So next time if you have a grand feast at home, don’t forget to treat your guests to homemade Paan. It will be a traditional finale for your dinner fiesta.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!