India is a land of herbs and oils. We have grown up watching the robust neem trees adorning our backyards, swaying in summer breeze. These tall trees are mostly evergreen except during extreme drought, when the leaves fall off. Neem trees with their attractive broad leaves and spread out branches provide shade from the scorching summer heat. It is a common sight to watch birds take shelter in the thick canopy of it’s leaves.
Neem is a medicinal plant and a valued source of organic pesticides. This rapidly growing tree can be cut for timber in just 5 to 7 years.
A herb from Dadi Maa Ka khazana (grandmother’s closet)-
Neem, with it’s antimicrobial and antiseptic properties has ruled our household since time immemorial and our grandmothers swore by its magical properties. This long-living tree is highly regarded in India for its amazing benefits. Almost every part of the tree- bark, leaves, seeds, tree nuts, fruit, flowers and roots- is used to make medicines.
Benefits of Neem
Neem can be used in the treatment of many conditions such as-
- Tooth plaque- Many households in India still use Neem stick for brushing their teeth. Known as datun in the local dialect, neem sticks are the poor man's answer to glamorous motor toothbrushes.
- A mild form of gingivitis- Clinical research has shown that applying a gel made from neem extract can help cure mild gingivitis.
- Lice- Research has proved that applying a shampoo derived from neem extract to the scalp cures children of head lice. One can even apply a paste of neem leaves and water on the scalp.
- Neuromuscular disorders- According to Ayurveda, chewing Neem leaves treats neuromuscular orders, remove toxins from our blood and even treats headaches.
- Neem sticks- Neem twigs have antibacterial properties to keep gums healthy and teeth sparkling clean. You are required to chew the end of the Neem stick till bristles are formed just like in the toothbrush. Gently rub these bristles along your teeth for optimum oral health. Try our Dabur Herbal Neem Toothpaste- with neem extract, this toothpaste provides complete gum care in oral hygiene space.
- Neem oil- Cold-pressed from Neem tree nuts, Neem oil is a high-quality product that works wonders for your skin and hair. It is known to known to boost collagen production, therefore helps in reducing wrinkles. Neem Oil is also used to treat dandruff. It is a good insect repellent, applying Neem Oil to your skin can ward off mosquitoes and other insects.
- Neem powder- A mixture of Neem powder and water can be applied as a fine paste on your skin and scalp. For best results, leave the mixture on your scalp for half an hour before rinsing off with water. This works as wonders for an itchy scalp, dandruff, lice and other infections of the scalp. It also stimulates hair growth and conditions hair.
- Neem leaves- Neem leaves are an important component of Ayurvedic medicines. Neem leaves can even be boiled in water for shower to ward off skin infections and treat acne. Dried Neem leaves are used instead of naphthalene balls to keep away insects and pests, and preserve woolens from any damage.
- Neem soap- Neem soap is one of the most popular skin care products to treat bacterial infections, clear up skin rashes, acne and Eczema.
- Neem face wash- Purifying Neem face wash has antibacterial properties. It provides excellent skincare by improving general skin health and controlling acne, boils and skin ulcers.
- Neem shampoo- Not only human beings but even pets are known to benefit from Neem shampoo. In humans, it is used to treat lice and scalp infections, in pets it results in a healthy and shiny coat.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 700 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!