It is a delight that by including certain foods in your diet, you can enjoy yummy treats along with hordes of health benefits. Sounds like a double feast indeed!
Today, we will talk about one such food that promises wholesome delight of taste as well as nutrition.
It is known as Moth beans or mat bean, commonly called Matki, Turkish Gram, or dew bean. This cylindrical-shaped lentil is grown in the semi-arid regions of India. It is a nutrient-dense food that has shades of tan or light brown on the outside with the inner part being slightly yellow.
Moth beans are a staple in many vegetarian dishes in the state of Maharashtra.
The typical crunchy texture and sweet-nutty flavor of moth sprouts add a unique taste to various dishes.
You can include this tiny little lentil in your diet either by cooking or frying it.
In Maharashtra, it is common to sprout moth beans before cooking. Once sprouted, they are used to make a spicy stew called Usam that is best enjoyed with Misal Pav.
Let us exploring some health benefits of this wondrous food-
- Antioxidant- Moth beans are loaded with antioxidants that help reduce the risk of catching infections
- Nutrient-rich- They are also a rich source of magnesium and potassium that helps reduce blood pressure
- Protein-rich- The protein-rich component of moth beans acts as a building block of bones, cartilage, muscles, and skin
- High in fiber- It’s higher fibrous content helps boost digestion
- Including moth beans in your diet on a regular basis is also said to reduce cholesterol levels
To say that people worldwide are becoming more health conscious won’t be an understatement. Let’s learn a quick and nutrient-packed healthy recipe using moth sprouts. This recipe makes 2 cups of moth sprouts salad.
- Moth beans- ½ cups
- Water- 2 cups
- Onion- One small, finely chopped
- Tomato- One small, finely chopped
- Green chillies- 1 to 2, finely chopped
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Salt- As per taste
- Chaat masala- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 1/4 cups, finely chopped
Method to make sprouts
- Take a jar and soak ½ cup of moth beans overnight in 1 cup of water
- After around 10 to 12 hours, moth beans will double in size. Remove water and leave for 24 hours
- After 24 hours, add 1 cup of freshwater, and leave for another 6 to 8 hours
- You will get 1 to 1 ½ inches long sprouts
Method to make Moth sprouts salad
- Take sprouted moth beans and rinse them under water properly
- Transfer the sprouts to a serving bowl
- Add chopped onions, tomatoes, and green chilies
- Add salt, Chaat masala, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
- Do not store it as it will become soggy
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 700 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!