We all love snacking every now and then. In the health-crazy world, we constantly strive for food that satiates our taste buds and is healthy as well. So, here’s a snack that perfectly fits the bill. It is the humble Moong Dal, an all-time salted fried Moong Dal lentils.
No wonder, one can find innumerable varieties of Moong Dal edibles. Among the best-selling is Haldiram’s Moong Dal and Bikano Moong Dal. Most Indian kitchen cabinets are conspicuous with this crunchy low-calorie snack.
Taste and flavor of Moong Dal
Moong dal has an authentic Indian flavor and is popular all over the world.
Health Benefits of Moong Dal
Good for heart
Moong dal has phenolic components with antioxidant properties, which contribute to low cholesterol. This directly transforms to having a healthy heart.
Controls Blood Sugar
Moong dal has a low glycemic index and therefore, regulates blood glucose and insulin in the body.
Moong dal is rich in iron and helps avoid anemia by boosting healthy iron content in the body.
Good For Gut Health
Moong dal aids in the production of fatty acid that helps maintain the health of the intestinal walls. Moong Dal's anti-inflammatory properties also prevent gas and bloating. Unlike other pulses, Moong dal is easy to digest, so is also good for digestion.
Helps in Controlling Weight
It is a low-calorie snack that makes the body feel full. This helps with weight management as you face fewer cravings.
How to prepare Moong Dal
Split Yellow Moong Dal -1 cup
Salt- As per taste
Oil- For deep frying
- Soak dal for 4 to 5 hours.
- Drain all water. Let the dal dry well.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan.
- Once the oil becomes piping hot, add dried moong dal. You should observe that the Dal should sizzle immediately, if not, then the oil is not yet ready for deep frying. In that case, let the oil be smoking hot before you start frying the moong dal.
- An important point to note is that if the oil is not ready, then the dal will absorb a lot of oil.
- Deep fry the moong dal in batches and not all together. Remove the fried lentils once they turn golden brown. It takes around 30 seconds to get them crispy golden.
- Place the fried dal in paper towels so that excess oil is removed.
- Add salt to taste and mix well. You can even add cashews, almonds, pistachios, and other nuts for garnishing.
- Once done, you can store it in airtight containers.
Note: You can also use a strainer to deep fry the moong lentils. Add a batch of the lentils and once the oil is smoking hot, just dip the strainer into the oil. After the lentils are fried, lift the strainer from the oil and drain the fried lentils in paper towels.
So, next time if you want to munch on a low-calorie yet tasty snack while enjoying your favorite novel, think no beyond Haldiram’s Moong Dal.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!