Are you bored of eating plain white rice and looking for exotic new substitutes?
Here’s a robust rice, called Matta Rice, a highly nutritious, succulent, and equally delectable variety.
Also known as Palakkadan Matta or Rosematta, Matta rice is one of the healthiest varieties of Indian rice.
This nutrient-packed rice is grown in the Palakkad district of Kerala. Commonly called Kerala red rice, or Red parboiled rice, it is popular for its coarseness and nutritional value.
Matta rice is more nutritious as compared to white rice as parboiling helps retain essential nutrients.
Read our blog till the end to know more about this rustic rice which is jam-packed with nutrients.
1/4 cup size of Matta rice contains 1 gm fiber and 160 calories
What does it look like?
Matta rice has soft, bold grains and a red pericarp. It has the typical taste of pasta blended with rice.
Not as aromatic as basmati rice, you will still love it for its nutty and earthy flavor and of course juicy grains.
Let us look into some health benefits of this amazing food.
Health benefits of Matta Rice:
- Rich in dietary fiber- One of the best health benefits of Matta rice is its high fiber content. It helps keep your digestive system healthy and aids bowel movement. The high fiber also helps you feel fuller for longer periods of time, thus aiding in weight loss.
- Rich in Magnesium and Calcium- 1 cup of matta rice contains 84 mg of Magnesium and 1 gm of Calcium. Magnesium is an important mineral that keeps your neuro health, heart health, and bone health robust. Matta rice is also a good source of calcium and therefore crucial for your bone, teeth, and muscle health. It is recommended for women post-menopause.
- Low-fat content- The low-fat content of Matta rice is good for your heart. Including this rice in your diet significantly reduces the risk of heart ailments and certain types of cancers.
- Helps regulate type 2 diabetes- Diabetes is a lifestyle disease that afflicts vast populations all around the world. Matta rice is believed to regulate type 2 diabetes effectively.
- Slows absorption of carbohydrates- Matta rice slows down the absorption of carbohydrates due to its high fiber content. This also helps regulate the blood sugar levels in your body.
- Rich in vitamins- In addition to magnesium, Matta rice has a good amount of vitamin A and some form of vitamin B. These vitamins are important for maintaining the overall health of your body.
How to cook?
Matta rice is traditionally double cooked and takes longer to cook than normal basmati rice.
- Wash the rice well in a large pan
- You can soak it from one hour to overnight
- Drain this water before cooking
- Simmer with 4 to 8 parts of water on a medium flame for half an hour
- Cover and let it settle for 15 to 20 minutes
- Salt the rice and then boil for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked
- Finally, drain it and cover for 15 minutes before serving hot with dollops of ghee and curry
- You will love the way it soaks up the sauce and absorbs the curry
If looking for a quicker method, try pressure cooking in Instant Pot-
- Soak 1cup rice for 10 minutes in cold water. Drain water and keep aside.
- Add 2 cups water along with rice and ½ teaspoon salt to the instant pot
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes at high pressure
- Let the pressure release naturally
- Open the lid, drain excess water, if any
- Serve hot with curry
How to include?
Our say is, don't think twice before including this nutrient-dense rice in your meal. You will fall in love with its unique taste.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!