Masoor dal is a versatile and healthy red lentil that makes for a filling and delicious meal with rice, roti, or naan.
Masoor dal is very easy to prepare as it does not need any prior soaking.
One can churn out many varieties like Masoor Dal curry, Masoor Dal khichadi, Masoor Dal Kachori, and Masoor Dal soup with this lentil.
One of the best recipes from Masoor Dal is the Masoor Tadka Dal curry. It’s super easy to dish out the recipe. This flavorful curry is not only healthy but also gluten free and naturally vegan!
Nutritional profile of Masoor Dal
Masoor dal is rich in essential minerals like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, calcium, zinc, vitamin B6, B2, folate, and is also an excellent source of protein and fibre.
Health benefits of Masoor Dal
- Regulates blood pressure- High amount of potassium found in Masoor Dal helps regulate blood pressure.
- Good for skin- Various antioxidants present in Masoor Dal promote skin health and delay premature ageing.
- Good for eyes- Masoor Dal contains vitamin A, C, and E that promote eye health and reduce age-related macular degeneration and cataract.
- Promotes gut health- Masoor Dal is very light and therefore easy to digest. It also promotes muscle strength.
- Good for weight loss- The high fibre content of Masoor Dal keeps you full for longer periods. Masoor Dal also has a low fat content and therefore aids in weight loss.
Recipe for Masoor Dal Tadka curry:
- Masoor Dal (red lentil)– 1 cup
- Finely chopped onions– 1
- Diced tomatoes– 2
- Chopped Green chili – 1
- Ginger– 1-inch stick crushed
- Hing powder (Asafoetida)– 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder– 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder– 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder– 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt– to taste
- Dry red chilies– 1
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)– 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds– 1 teaspoon
- Ghee– 1 tablespoon
- Wash Masoor Dal well till water runs clear.
- In a pressure cooker, add washed Dal and 2 cups of water.
- Add chopped onions, diced tomatoes, chopped green chilli, ginger, salt, turmeric, and Hing powder.
- Pressure cook on medium low flame for 4 minutes (2 whistles).
- If not using a pressure cooker, then cook dal in a covered pot till dal is soft when pressed. However, you should take care that individual lentil pieces should retain their shape.
- Allow the pressure cooker to release the steam naturally. Check the consistency of Dal. If you want it thinner, then add some water and bring it to a boil.
- Add crushed kasoori methi while vigorously stirring to blend the boiled pieces of onions and tomatoes.
For tempering (tadka):
- Heat ghee in a tempering ladle. When hot add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start spluttering, add a dry red chili, red chili powder and coriander powder. Cook masalas by constantly stirring the Ghee on low flame. Pour the hot spiced ghee over the cooked dal.
- Serve while hot.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!