With summer just around the corner, I can already smell the tropical-sweet aroma of mango. Mangoes are undoubtedly the most popular fruits all over the world. Their versatility makes them a hot favorite with young and old alike.
While the young love to add their creative instinct to mango recipes, the old love it for its easily chew-able pulp. It is truly called the “King of Fruits” in South Asia.
This summer let's go by the saying “Everyday is mangonificent”.
Let’s know what makes this fruit such a cherished choice among all age groups-
- Nutrition- Mango is a storehouse of nutrients. It is a rich source of fiber and Vitamin A.
- Aroma- The floral and fruity aroma of mango is addictive. The flavor of the fruit imparts an irresistible punch to food.
- Versatility- One can combine mangoes in a zillion of ways to make juices, smoothies, ice cream, and many more healthy recipes.
You can mash, saute, chop, pickle, use in chutneys, or even freeze them for later use.
One of the most amazing yet easy recipes that you can dish out in a matter of minutes is Mango Lassi.
Here's a step wise method to prepare this delicious summer concoction-
- Medium sized ripe mangoes- 3 to 4 (2 cups when chopped)
- Sugar or honey- as per your taste
- Saffron- 5 to 6 strands
- Cardamom powder- one teaspoon
- Rose water- ½ tablespoon
- Chilled yogurt- 2 cups
- Low fat cream- 3 tbsp
- Ice cubes- 3 to 4
- Chopped almonds and pistachios- Optional
Method (makes 3 glasses):
- Peel mangoes and chop them. Add sugar or honey. Blend in a blender till you get a smooth paste.
- Add cardamom powder, saffron strands, yogurt, and low fat cream.
- You may add little milk if you want a thin consistency.
- You can garnish it with chopped almonds and pistachios.
- Add ice cubes and serve chilled.
Note: You can add mango pulp (2 cups instead of mangoes).
Next time when you host a party with guests of varied age-groups, don’t forget to include it in your menu. Whether young or old, you will hit it big with Mango Lassi!
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!