I love all things red. They symbolize fire, spark, and a zeal for life. Ditto for food. The exotic red color adds a swanky touch to soups, stews, vegetable dishes, curries, which is oh so tempting!
A variety of spices such as Deggi Mirch, paprika, Cayenne pepper, crushed chili flakes, and saffron add a dash of color to your food. However, if looking for a cool zing with an enticing red flavor, and mild spiciness then Kashmiri Mirch is your best bet!
The bright Kashmiri Mirch is the finest blend of medium hot quality red pepper.
How to use
- Kashmiri Mirch can be used in the whole form by roasting them slightly on the pan till you smell the typical aroma.
- The whole mirch can also be stir-fried in oil. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and chopped onions. Once the onions turn golden brown, add chopped tomatoes. When tomatoes are almost cooked, add dry spices along with whole Kashmiri Mirch.
- Along with other spices, the powdered form of mirch can be used in marinades. The powder can be sprayed on raita, dahi bhallas, papri chaat, bhelpuri, and many more dishes.
- If you want to avoid the chunks of the spice, then cut mirch into small pieces. Discard seeds and stems. Soak in water for 30 minutes. Drain out the water from the chilies. Add this water for getting a fiery color to the curry.
- You can also add crushed chilies as per the recipe requirements.
- Kashmiri Mirch blends very well with garlic. A smooth paste of the two can be prepared and refrigerated for later use.
When to use Kashmiri Mirch
Use Kashmiri Mirch if you want a crimson red color in your recipes with a mild spice. Kashmiri Mirch is not as spicy as other varieties of red chilies.
How to buy
- The chilies are easily available in pre-packaged boxes or loose form, in most of the stores and supermarkets. Look for pre-packaged boxes that are well-sealed. If buying the loose variety, look for smooth chilies that are stored in covered containers. Avoid picking up any broken stems or loose stones that might be present as contaminants.
- Buy the chilies that are uniform and bright red in color. Do not buy crumpled chilies with a reddish-brown tinge.
How to store
- The powdered and whole Kashmiri Mirch can be stored in a cool and dry place, in an airtight container.
- Once the color starts to fade, it is best to use it soon or discard it.
Kashmiri Mirch and Garlic Paste
- Garlic cloves- 14
- Kashmiri Mirch Whole- 12
- Soak Kashmiri Mirch in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the chilies. Remove stem. In a mixer, blend the chilies, ¼ cup of water and garlic cloves till you get a smooth paste.
- Refrigerate in a dry and airtight container. Use it whenever required.
- Scoop out using a dry spoon.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!