Are you looking for a naturally gluten-free diet; a healthy option with a mild flavor that works great with sweet and savory recipes? Whoa, sounds too good to be true! Well, we are talking about Sorghum flour, also popular as Jowar flour. One can dish out numerous varieties ranging from flaky pastry to vanilla cake with this versatile food item.
Once you know the health benefits of Jowar flour, it will become a must-have item on your grocery list.
In Indian households, Jowar flour is used to prepare the Indian flatbread, jowar ki roti.
What is Jowar flour?
Jowar flour is a vanilla-scented light flour with a soft texture. It is light beige in color. The mildly sweet flavor of Jowar flour makes it incredibly versatile for baking. The Jowar flour or Jowar Organic flour is obtained by grinding Jowar grains, also called Sorghum Millet, to a fine consistency.
Is Jowar flour gluten-free?
Yes, it is. But, like other gluten-free flours, Jowar flour cannot be used entirely as a substitute for wheat flour.
However, one can use it with other gluten-free flours to dish out sumptuous baked recipes.
How to use Jowar?
- Jowar grains are used as a breakfast porridge.
- One can also add Jowar for thickening stews.
- Jowar is also used in the production of alcoholic drinks.
- Jowar roti is an Indian flatbread.
- One can also stuff sumptuous fillings to make delicious Jowar parathas.
- Jowar grains are used in the combination of Bajra grains to prepare the delicious Jowar Bajra khichdi.
- Many stores sell Jowar Puffs that make for excellent snack items. Some varieties are Tomato, Cheese & Herbs, Peri-Peri, Cheesy Jalapeno and, Indian Spices.
Recipe for Jowar-Vegetable Porridge
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Jowar flour-1/2 cup
- Salt- As per taste.
- Cooking oil- 1 tsp
- Chopped vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, green chilies etc.)- 1 cup
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Hing- 2 pinches.
- Tomatoes (chopped)- 2 tbsp
- Onions (chopped)- 2 tbsp
- Coriander (chopped)- 2 tbsp
- Mix jowar flour and salt with 3 cups of water. Take a pressure cooker and place the mixture inside. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Let the steam out and open the pressure cooker lid.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add hing and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add mixed vegetables into the pan. Sauté for 4-5 minutes on a low-medium flame.
- Next, add the pressure-cooked jowar mixture, salt, and 1 ½ cups of water into the pan. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and mix well.
- Sprinkle chopped onion, tomato, and coriander. You can also add desi ghee on top. Relish while hot.
Health Benefits of Jowar Flour
- Jowar flour is highly fibrous and rich in antioxidants that help prevent inflammation and heart disease.
- It has a low glycemic index that helps balance blood sugars.
- Jowar flour also has a high proteinaceous content.
- Jowar flour is gluten-free and therefore, a healthy option for people with gluten allergies.
- It is a great immunity booster.
- It helps control free radicals that cause premature aging.
How to store Jowar Flour
Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place. It is best to use Jowar flour within 30 days.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!