Known as the “King of Medicines” in the holistic science of Ayurveda, Haritaki is extensively used as herbal medicine to treat many disorders.
Haritaki is available in powder, churna, avaleha, or vati forms.
How is Haritaki powder obtained?
Haritaki is a deciduous tree also called Terminalia Chebula tree that grows in the tropical and subtropical climate of Asia. The tree is known as Indian Hog Plum in English or more popularly as Indian Walnut for its multiple benefits.
The tall Haritaki tree is characterized by typical oval-shaped leaves and whitish-yellow flowers with a pungent smell.
The dried fruit of Haritaki is often called Chebulic Myrobalan. Haritaki powder is extracted from the seeds of the fruit.
Haritaki is one of the three major constituents of the rejuvenative Triphala formulation. The Ayurvedic medicine system strongly advocates Haritaki usage for treating many health anomalies.
Taste of Haritaki
The herbal fruit has four distinct tastes-
- Katu (pungent),
- Tikta (bitter),
- Kashaya (astringent),
- Madhura and Amla Rasa (sour taste).
Health benefits of Haritaki
Let’s take a quick look at some of the health benefits of this potent wonder-
- Improves brain function- Flavonoids and potent antioxidants in Haritaki boost focus, memory, calmness, and alertness. Therefore it is a great stimulator and brain tonic.
- Regulates blood sugar- Scientific studies have revealed that the components present in Haritaki control blood sugar levels.
- Good for sexual stamina and health- Haritaki is extremely good at promoting sexual health in both females and males. It is a natural aphrodisiac and stimulates the production of hormones that help increase libido.
- Aids digestion and weight loss- Haritaki is a potent digestive herb as it increases the absorption of essential nutrients and also has some laxative effect. It cleanses your intestines and treats constipation. Haritaki reduces obesity as it controls hunger pangs, hence aiding weight loss. It also energizes the body and promotes longevity.
- Good for eyes- Haritaki is a great eyewash or eye cleanser that helps get solace against various eye infections like dry eyes, inflamed eyes, stye infection, conjunctivitis, and watery eyes. Boil dried Haritaki fruit and then cool it to make the wondrous eyewash.
- Beauty benefits- The herb has excellent anti-oxidative and antibacterial properties that boost skin and hair health. Various skin infections like pimples, acne, rashes, and boils can be treated using Haritaki paste. It also treats scalp problems like itching, dandruff, and hair fall.
How to make Haritaki paste
Take one spoon of Haritaki powder, half spoon of besan, half spoon of Multani Mitti, and 2 tablespoons of rosewater to make a paste. Apply it to your face and let it dry for 20 minutes. Wash off with cool water. You can use this remedy twice a week to get desired results.
Dosage of Haritaki Powder
One can consume by mixing the powder in warm water or milk. Haritaki can also be taken in the form of a decoction or tea.
- Adults- 5 to 10 g once a day.
- Children- 1 to 2 g once a day.
Note: Haritaki should be strictly consumed under the consultation of an Ayurvedic doctor.
Side effects of Haritaki
There is no doubt that Haritaki has great therapeutic benefits. However, consuming it without the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner may cause side effects. Overconsumption or wrong consumption can cause diarrhea, dehydration, and fatigue.
Haritaki is a magical remedy that can treat many health problems. It is available in various forms but one must take it under proper consultation from a doctor to reap its benefits.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!