Are you looking to include a protein and fiber rich food in your diet with some omega-3 fatty acids? Here are flax seeds for you, also a good source of Lignans. Lignans are described as phytoestrogens with properties similar to the hormone estrogen.
Health benefits of Flax seeds
- Constipation- Flax seeds are rich in dietary fiber. Consuming flax seeds is believed to increase bowel movements and relieve constipation.
- Sugar control- Eating whole or ground flax seeds regularly for 10-12 weeks is said to regulate Type 2 diabetes.
- High BP control- It is suggested that chewing whole flax seeds by mouth reduces blood pressure to some extent, thus reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Inflammation control- Flax seeds are believed to reduce inflammation in kidneys caused due to lupus.
- Help in weight loss- The high fiber content in flax seeds makes people feel fuller for longer periods, and therefore aids in weight loss.
- Good for female health- The estrogen-like properties ease the symptoms of menopause and lower the risk of osteoporosis and breast cancer.
How to consume flax seeds
The adult dosage of flax seeds is 20-30 grams by mouth daily.
- Mix whole flax seeds with your breakfast cereal, meals, and salads.
- Ground flax seeds powder can be added in soups, stews, and curries.
- Top your desserts like kheer, porridge, and puddings with a sprinkle of roasted and powdered flax seeds.
- Add whole flax seeds in baked goods like breads, cakes, muffins, cookies, and snack bars.
Flax Seed Ladoo Recipe
- Roasted Gram Dal- 1 cup
- Crushed or powdered Jaggery- 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Freshly ground flax seed powder- 1/4 cup
- Almond Powder- 1/4 cup
- Ghee- 1/4 cup
- Start with dry roasting the already roasted chana dal until it changes color slightly.
- Powder once it cools down.
- In a large bowl, take all the ingredients, and knead well with your hands till you get a soft ball of mass. Start making small lemon sized balls.
- Keep rolling fast so that the heat in your hands binds all ingredients together.
- The flaxseed ladoos are ready.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Enjoy with a hot cup of Masala Chai or Coffee.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!