Dalia or porridge, as it is called in English, is the Indian cracked wheat that makes a nutritious and sumptuous breakfast. It is also known as Bulgur wheat. Dalia has a chewy texture that becomes soft upon cooking.
Dalia is considered to be better than whole wheat flour because it is not processed like wheat flour. Dalia is a form of cracked wheat that retains its nutrition intact.
One can also buy organic Dalia instead of the regular variety.
Health benefits of Dalia
- Dalia is high in fibre, protein, and iron. It contains wheat bran and germ.
- Dalia is also a rich source of carbohydrates, vitamins, and some minerals.
- Dalia also helps one reduce weight as its high fiber content makes people feel fuller for longer periods.
- The high fibre content also prevents constipation.
- Dalia has less fat content and is therefore, a good diet for people who are trying to lower their cholesterol levels.
- It is a good diet for people with diabetes as it has a low glycaemic index and is high in dietary fibers.
How to consume Dalia
Dalia is the ideal breakfast food as it is fibrous and fulfilling. We can cook Dalia as vegetable dalia or sweet dalia.
Let us learn a quick recipe of making sweet Dalia, also called wheat porridge.
Sweet dalia recipe- Serves 4 people
Ghee or cooking oil- 2 tsp.
Sugar- as per taste
Dalia- 1 cup
Milk - 2 cups
Cardamom powder- ½ teaspoon
Almonds and pistachios (well cut)- 1 tablespoon
- Wash Dalia well in clean water.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add the washed dalia and roast on low-medium heat with constant stirring till it starts to turn golden brown. It will take around 1 minute. This is an important step as one must not over roast Dalia (it will become hard).
- Add 2 cups of milk. Cook Dalia in milk with constant stirring till the milk boils. The dalia will soften and not be crisp anymore. Add cardamom powder, sugar, nuts, and raisins and let it simmer for another minute on a low-medium flame, with constant stirring.
- You can refrigerate Dalia once it becomes cool and eat it later or you can even eat it hot.
- This creamy, nutty, and delicious wheat porridge recipe makes for a super healthy breakfast and also a finger-licking dessert.
Note: You can also replace sugar with jaggery or brown sugar for a healthier option.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!