Murmura, the name sounds a bit funny but when it comes to favorite snacks for kids, Murmura beats its way hands-down. The best part is that Murmura can be readily fabricated into ready-to-eat delights within minutes.
How is Murmura obtained?
Murmura, also called Mamra, is made of puffed rice. It is a classic Indian cereal that provides an instant source of energy. Murmura doesn't only satisfy food cravings but is also a great source of nutrition for children.
How do Indian mothers incorporate Murmura into the diet?
- One can sauté Murmura with spices like turmeric, black salt, roasted peanuts, and curry leaves to dish out a crispy savory snack.
- Or, one can also add diced tomatoes, finely chopped onions, salt with some green chilies, and chopped coriander to Murmura and enjoy a delicious Bhel puri-like-snack. You can also get creative by adding some cucumber and mint chutney for extra punch.
- For mothers who struggle with healthy food options for their kids, Murmura can be a savior. One can add fruits and fiber-rich sprouts to churn out a new variety of healthy Murmura recipes.
- Many times, women mix Murmura with roasted Bengal gram, jaggery, and some spices. This makes for a great serving that can be enjoyed occasionally with evening tea.
It is heartening to know that Murmura is not just a yummy cereal, it is also loaded with an array of nutritional benefits. Let’s explore.
Health benefits of Murmura
- High in fiber- High fiber content of Murmura aids digestion and makes it pivotal in treating constipation.
- Rich in essential vitamins and minerals- Puffed rice has a good amount of calcium, iron, thiamine, and vitamin D that help in bone strengthening. Murmura's low sodium content makes it a very good food choice for people having blood pressure problems; it regulates high BP and is also good for low BP.
- Rich in complex carbohydrates- Puffed rice gives an instant source of energy because it is rich in carbohydrates and therefore, good for people with an active lifestyle.
- Rich in antioxidants- Consuming Murmura regularly can be a blessing for your skin as it is rich in antioxidants. Therefore, it reduces wrinkles and early signs of aging while imparting radiant and spotless skin.
- Low in calories- Puffed rice is a good source of fiber yet low on calories. This makes it an ideal snack to consume for someone seeking weight loss as it makes one fuller for longer periods and also provides a burst of energy.
In short, Murmura is a traditional convenience food, conspicuous in every Indian kitchen cabinet. It is best to incorporate Murmura into your dietary regimen to avail of its incredible therapeutic benefits.
Are there any side effects of consuming Murmura?
Murmura has a high glycaemic index and therefore, is not recommended for people suffering from diabetes. Eating Murmura excessively can also lead to obesity.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!