Are you looking for the double distinction of health and nutrition in your diet? If yes, then Bajra or pearl millet fits the bill to the T. Bajra is densely packed with essential nutrients and fiber. It makes for a delectable addition to wheat flour and can also be consumed on its own. If you are seeking a gluten-free replacement to wheat flour, then like rice and quinoa, bajra flour is your ideal bet.
The most common dish made from bajra is Bajre Ki roti. However, it is not easy to prepare Roti out of bajra flour because it doesn’t stick as well as wheat flour.
The best way to roll Bajre ki Roti is by using a food grade plastic sheet between the dough and the rolling pin.
The trick is to cook Bajre Ki Roti on a low flame so that it is evenly cooked.
Bajre ki Roti is best enjoyed with jaggery. If you want to enjoy a traditional rustic lunch, add dollops of ghee on the Roti and enjoy with jaggery! You can also team it with simple yogurt, Raita, or Kadhi.
Though a traditional Rajasthani recipe, Bajre ki Roti finds its fan base in people all over India because of its health benefits.
Let’s take a quick overview-
- Bajra is a very high source of fiber
- It is rich in protein as well as essential minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, and iron.
- It is abundant in complex hydro carbohydrates that release energy slowly. This property makes one feel fuller for longer periods after consuming bajra. This directly transforms into eating less and thus aids in weight loss.
- Because of its highly nutritious value, bajra is good in treating constipation, hypertension, obesity, and diabetes.
- It is naturally alkaline and gluten-free and this property makes it very good for health.
How to make Bajre ki Roti (makes six Rotis)
- Bajra flour- 2 cups
- Salt- 1 tbsp
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Jaggery- 2 tbsp
- Take bajra flour in a mixing bowl and add salt. Add hot water slowly and keep kneading the dough till you get a firm consistency. Do not add water all at once.
- Leave it for five minutes. Knead a bit more till it is soft and firm.
- Heat Tava on a medium-low flame. Roll out small balls of 1.5” diameter and cover with a damp cloth.
- For each Bajre ki Roti, take one ball and start rolling it by keeping two sheets of food-grade plastic in between. Do it slowly to get a perfectly flat shape.
- Transfer the rolled Roti very gently into heated Tava. Cook on a medium-low flame, flipping carefully till both sides are evenly cooked.
- Add ghee on top and serve with jaggery. You can also have Lahsun chutney, Raita or Pakora kadhi as a side dish to enjoy with Bajre ki Roti.
- Kneading the dough and rolling out Chapati takes a bit of practice. Do not lose patience as you will get perfection only after some time. It is, therefore, recommended to start with a small batch first.
- One can also add finely chopped methi leaves and spinach leaves into the dough for that extra flavor.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 700 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!