Amla or Indian gooseberry is a superfood packed with Vitamin C. It grows on the flowering Amla tree. The small berries of this tree, known as Amla, are yellowish-green in color.
Nutritionists recommend incorporating Amla into your diet daily.
Taste of Amla
Amla is known as a ‘divyaushada’ or divine medicine. It has five typical tastes – sweet, sour, pungent, bitter, and astringent. However, its typical sour taste does not go well with most people. Let us look at some easy ways of consuming amla.
How to consume Amla
Amla is sold as Amla Powder, Amla Juice, Amla Murabba, Amla Churan, or Amla Candy. One can also consume Amla as a whole fruit. Whether eaten raw, powdered, juiced, or simply added in jams, pickles, or spreads - incorporating this green fruit directly translates into good health.
How To Make Amla Juice At Home
Amla juice is a detoxifying drink that can be easily prepared at home.
Fresh Amla Juice Recipe
Amla- 5 fruits
Honey- 2 tbsp
Black Salt- ¼ tsp
Water- 300 ml
- Chop amla into small pieces. Discard seeds.
- Grind the pieces into a paste in a mixie, by adding little water.
- Dilute amla paste with water. Add salt and honey. Stir well.
- Relish the healthy concoction with some ice cubes.
Let’s now look at some health benefits of amla-
Health Benefits of Amla
- Boosts immunity- Amla is an excellent source of Vitamin C, hence it helps boost your immunity.
- Improves metabolism- The essential minerals and vitamins found in amla are calcium, iron, phosphorus, carotene, vitamin B, protein, and fiber. These vitamins and minerals are integral to smooth working of your body's digestive system and overall well-being. Therefore, consuming amla prevents viral and bacterial ailments, and also boosts metabolism.
- Increases longevity- Amla helps in slowing down the aging process and also boosts collagen production. This keeps your skin and hair healthy.
- Anti-cancer properties- Amla’s nutritional profile has many polyphenols that fight against the development of cancer cells.
- Brings equilibrium- According to Ayurveda, amla juice is tridoshic. This means it balances all the processes in the body and brings to equilibrium all three doshas - Vata, Kapha, Pitta.
- Natural antioxidant- Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant and amla is a rich source. This means Amla protects you against the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Good for hair growth- Massaging the scalp with Amla oil provides luster, strengthens the follicles and the vitamin C content prevents premature greying. Many women add amla powder with henna powder o make a fine paste to apply on hair.
- Learn more about how Amla can help you in your Gold Years
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian Grocery Store delivering people's favorite brands to their doors all over Canada. We have over 600 products that can be ordered for delivery now! Like our Facebook Page for updates about our Indian Grocery Store!