Do you love the sweet, tangy aroma of unripe green mangoes? Here is a fruity spice derived from the sliced, sun-dried, and ground unripe mangoes.
Before that, let us understand the importance of mangoes in India. Mango is native to India and Southeast Asia. Mango fruits and mango leaves are used in floral decorations, public celebrations, and also religious ceremonies.
According to mythology, Lord Buddha found salvation in a mango grove.
Amchur powder can add the nutritional benefits of mangoes when the fresh mangoes are unavailable.
It is interesting to note that Amchur is made only in India.
What does Amchur look like?
Whole Amchur is brown to dark beige in color. When Amchur is ground to a fine powder, you get Amchur powder.
What is the flavour and taste of Amchur powder?
Amchur powder is used as a citrusy or tarty seasoning in many Indian cuisines. It has a sour taste like lemon and tamarind. Amchur powder is a good substitute for lemon.
Amchur powder is added to recipes that need tanginess but not moisture, like a samosa filling, pakora batter, stuffing for bread pakora or parantha, stuffed bhindi masala, or even a spicy rub for grilled meats.
How did Amchur get its typical name?
The name Amchur is derived from the Hindi word Aam, meaning mango. Therefore, Amchur powder is commonly called mango powder.
Health benefits of Amchur powder:
- Good for heart health- In the Ayurvedic system of medicine, Amchur keeps the heart healthy and in good functioning order.
- Cooling effect- Amchur is an excellent seasoning ingredient in so much as it has a cooling effect. It is added to some summer drinks as it aids digestion too.
- Good for digestive health- Amchur addresses the health issues of acidity, indigestion, and constipation. Therefore, it is good for pregnant women who tend to suffer from these maladies.
- Rich in antioxidants- It is also rich in vitamins A, E, and C and contains a fair amount of iron. It is a good immunity booster.
- It is known to control diabetes as well as blood pressure.
Are Amchur and Chaat Masala the same?
Chaat Masala has a very distinctive sour taste compared to Amchur powder, which has more fruity and tarty flavor.
How to prepare Amchur powder at home?
- Take green raw mangoes. Wash them properly.
- Peel them and slice into long thin slices.
- Spread out the thin slices on a clean cloth and place it in the sunlight.
- Repeat the process daily till the slices are crisp and brittle.
- Grind these crisp slices till you get a fine powder.
- Amchur powder is ready. Store it in clean air tight jars.
But, people prefer to buy Amchur powder at grocery stores as it is a bit tedious to prepare it at home.
How to store Amchur powder:
- Once powdered, one can store Amchur for almost a year in a cool, dark place, in an airtight container.
- Avoid storing it near highly aromatic spices such as bay leaves, cinnamon, or asafoetida.
Who are we? Singal's Indian Grocery is an online Indian grocery store that allows you to receive your favorite Indian products at home! We offer delivery everywhere in Canada. We have more than 700 products that we will gladly deliver to your door!
Like our Facebook Page to learn more about our products and discover new recipes!