Whole red chili dried can be used in different sautés and gravy dishes in order to give it a great spicy taste.
Did you know that this hot spice was introduced to India by Portuguese and Spanish traders almost 500 years back? Today this aromatic spice is widely cultivated all across the Indian subcontinent.
Traditional Indian meals are incomplete without the generous addition of this spicy additive. If you love Indian cuisine, then you must’ve seen whole red chilies augmenting recipes like Kadhi, chole, dal tadka, dry pumpkin or aloo vegetable, veg biryani, and even more.
How to add Whole Red Chili Dry to recipes?
Whole Red Dry Chili can be added to vegetable dishes, curries, soups, and stews just in the beginning by frying or sautéing. Whole Red Dry Chili is also used extensively for making tomato sauce which can be used to add spice to other recipes. Whole Red Chili can also be crushed and powdered as required.
Whole Red Dry Chili powder is an excellent addition to marinades. Chili chicken marinade is incomplete without a generous mixing of whole red dry chili. One can also add Whole Red Chili while frying onions and tomatoes for preparing curries.
Health benefits of Whole Red Chili:
- Whole red chilies are an excellent source of vitamin C. They contain more vitamin C than an orange.
- Capsaisin, a chemical found in red chilies is believed to reduce the risk of stomach and skin cancer.
- Whole red chilies are also said to cure cold and sinus symptoms.
Some precautions while consuming whole red chilies:
- Excessive use of red chili can cause heartburn and indigestion. Red chilies are extremely spicy and therefore, should be consumed in moderation.
- Whole red chili should not be consumed on its own as it causes a severe burning sensation in the mouth.
- The seeds of whole red chili can cause numerous cuts on the tip of the tongue.
- Be very cautious while using red chilies as they can cause permanent eye damage if they get inside the eyes.
How to get relief from whole red chilies?
- Have a spoonful of chilled yogurt, cold milk, or something sweet like sugar or jaggery if you feel too hot after consuming whole red dry chili.
- Do not drink water as it will enhance the burning sensation even more.
How to store Whole Red Chili Dry?
Whole red chilies dry can be stored in an airtight container in a cool and dry place. They can also be crushed into chili flakes or stored in powdered form, preferably in a glass container in a cool and dry place.