Also called chick pea, chole, gram, channa, Bengal gram, garbanzo, garbanzo bean of Egyptian pea, chickpea is a nutrient-dense food, providing rich content of protein, dietary fibers, folate and certain minerals such as iron and phosphorus. If they are soaked between 12-24 hours, they need 30 minutes to cook. They can also be pressure cooked for a quicker cooking time. They can be eaten cold in salads, cooked in stews, ground into flour or ground and shaped in balls and fried as falafel.
Are you a vegetarian who strives for a protein rich diet that is not only healthy but also stirs your palate with its yummy taste? Well, here is our choice for you- we recommend chickpeas hands down!
Chickpeas, commonly called white chickpeas, are a rich source of protein and fiber. It is also called Kabuli chana aur Chole in local parlance. And the best part is that this fiber rich food is filling yet medium-low on calories!
Flavor of Chickpeas
Chickpeas have a nutty and crunchy flavor.This makes chickpeas an ideal addition to salads and soups. Chickpeas make an integral part of Indian cuisine and are used in a variety of ways in Indian recipes.
What makes Chickpeas so popular?
- Chickpeas belong to the legume family and are extremely versatile. Because of their rich taste and high nutrition content, chickpeas make for a perfect meal for a nutrient dense vegetarian diet.
- Whether boiled chickpeas, slightly sautéed and roasted chickpeas, or chickpeas curry, you can never go wrong with these buffet enhancing legumes.
- As mentioned earlier, toss boiled chickpeas over a leafy salad and sprinkle with a dash of olive oil for a healthy yet yummy treat.
- Another not so popular but still delicious delight is the chickpeas soup.
- Chickpeas atta (sattu) is an extremely healthy flour. You can add 1 tablespoon of sattu flour in cold water and stir well. Add a few mint leaves, salt, and black pepper to taste. Enjoy the cool drink. It is a healthy drink in summers.
- Owing to its healthy profile, roasted chickpeas are recommended as a filling and nutritive snack.
- One can add diced tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies and a few drops of lemon juice to make for a tasty chickpeas chaat or chickpeas salad. You can use either boiled chickpeas or roasted chickpeas.
- Roasted chickpeas, dry roasted with skin on a low flame, are an irresistible crispy-crunchy snack.
- Another popular and delectable recipe is Hummus, made by grinding boiled chickpeas and mixing it with aromatic spices. It is enjoyed with chips, salad, or naan.
Nutritional profile of chickpeas
- Chickpeas are rich in plant-based protein and high in fibre.
- These healthy legumes are also nutrient rich specially in phosphorus, zinc, folate, and iron.
- Chickpeas are not very low on carbohydrates and fat. They are medium low in calories.
What to look for when buying chickpeas?
Look for dry chickpeas when buying them.
You can store chickpeas in an airtight container for almost a year. However, if stored for longer periods, chickpeas lose moisture and take longer to cook.
Looking where to buy white chickpeas online in Canada? We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.