Supari Betel Nut Whole (100 gm)
Betel nuts or supari, as we call it in the local dialect, formed a major part of my growing years in Jaipur, Rajasthan. On many days, after her lunch, my mother would pop one of these crooked nuts, place them between her molars, and chew them for hours together. The strangest part was that these hard nuts would become mushy and soft after prolonged chewing, and she would relish its nutty taste.
However, one should remember that betel nuts are to be consumed sparingly. Modern health research shows that chewing betel nuts poses several health risks.
What are betel nuts, and how do they taste
Betel nuts are small round or oblong-shaped nuts from the Arecaceae or palm family. They are also called Areca nuts. When the nuts are fresh, the surrounding fibers are soft and green. But on maturity, the fibers become hard and wood-like. Betel nuts offer a chewy texture and taste like cinnamon or nutmeg. They grow in tropical or subtropical climates all year-round.
How to use betel nuts
- Betel nuts are an integral ingredient during many Puja ceremonies and even marriage ceremonies.
- In the Ayurvedic system of medicine, small quantities of betel nuts are believed to cure dry mouth, gum infection, cavities, and indigestion.
- Raw betel nuts are either eaten on their own or placed in the folded betel leaf or paan. Both ways, they are chewed for prolonged hours.
- One can also roast, bake, or boil betel nuts before consuming them.
Nutritional value of betel nuts
- Betel nuts contain arecoline that increases stamina, alertness, and a feeling of euphoria.
- Betel nuts are known to contain some fiber, calcium, and iron.
However, betel nuts are known to have a detrimental effect on health if eaten in excessive amounts-
- Betel nuts are harmful to oral health. They cause cavities, caries, and periodontal diseases if consumed regularly.
- Betel nuts can become addictive. Some health experts say that betel nuts are the leading cause of mouth and gum cancer.
- Betel nuts are also known to lower blood pressure if consumed excessively.
How to store betel nuts
One should store betel nuts in a cool and dry place. They can last up to many months if stored properly.Looking where to buy Betel Nuts Supari online in Canada. We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.