Bhujia Peanut Cracker is a popular Indian snack that combines the flavors of spicy bhujia and crunchy peanuts. Bhujia refers to a crispy and savory snack made from gram flour (besan), spices, and herbs. When peanuts are added to this mixture, it creates a delightful combination that is loved by snack enthusiasts.
The process of making Bhujia Peanut Cracker involves a few steps. Here is a general recipe to give you an idea:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup peanuts (roasted and skinned)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- Salt to taste
- Water (as required)
- Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the gram flour, rice flour, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, carom seeds, asafoetida, and salt. Mix well to ensure all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add the roasted and skinned peanuts to the mixture and mix them well, ensuring that they are coated with the flour mixture.
- Gradually add water to the mixture and knead it into a firm dough. The dough should be pliable and not too soft or sticky.
- Divide the dough into small portions and shape them into thin, long strips or any desired shape.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Carefully drop the shaped dough into the hot oil and fry them until they turn golden brown and crispy. Make sure to fry them in small batches to ensure even cooking.
- Once fried, remove the Bhujia Peanut Crackers from the oil and drain them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Now, let's talk about the benefits of Bhujia Peanut Cracker:
Protein-Rich: Peanuts are a good source of plant-based protein, and when combined with gram flour, Bhujia Peanut Cracker becomes a protein-rich snack. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues and is an important part of a balanced diet.
Healthy Fats: Peanuts contain monounsaturated fats, which are considered healthy fats that can help reduce bad cholesterol levels and support heart health when consumed in moderation.
Good Source of Fiber: Both peanuts and gram flour contribute to the fiber content of Bhujia Peanut Cracker. Fiber aids in digestion, promotes satiety, and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
Energizing Snack: Bhujia Peanut Cracker provides a good amount of energy due to the presence of peanuts and gram flour. It can be a quick and satisfying snack option to boost energy levels throughout the day.
Flavorful and Crunchy: The combination of spicy bhujia and crunchy peanuts creates a flavorful and texturally appealing snack. It satisfies the craving for a savory and crunchy snack, making it enjoyable to eat.
Now, let's move on to the other names Bhujia is known as:
- Aloo Bhujia (when made with potato)
- Nylon Bhujia
- Ratlami Bhujia
- Bikaneri Bhujia
These are some of the commonly used names for Bhujia across different regions in India. Each variation may have its own unique taste and texture.