Gond Katira (200 gm)
Goondkatira or Tragacanth gum has amazing cooling properties and especially helpful for the body during the summer months. When soaked in water overnight, the gum converts in a transparent miss-mash of fibrous content which can then be enjoyed in a flavored glass of milk or as part of a variety of Indian desserts such as falooda! It is also used to make ladoos loved by many Indians across the world. Also called gondh.
Gond Katira is derived from the sap of thorny and low-growing tree tragacanth. The tree is commonly found in the mountains of the Middle East, especially Iran. Its peculiar name is derived from Gond, which means gum.
The crystalline herb of Gond Katira or Tragacanth gum is made from the gum of the tragacanth plant. The plant produces this gum naturally, which is collected to form crystals of Gond Katira.
Ironically, Gond Katira was an integral part of the kitchen just a few decades back but somehow lost its sheen in our modern cuisine.
Today, let’s learn about this amazing component which has dual properties of keeping you cool in summers and warm in winters.
Benefits of Gond Katira:
- Prevents heat stroke- In the height of summers, Gond Katira can prevent sunstroke or heat stroke. One can consume it twice daily.
- Digestion- It is believed to be a cure for constipation.
- Skin- Many ladies have used Gond Katira as a face mask. It is known to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Rich in nutrients- Gond Katira is rich in protein and calcium. It is therefore given to women during and after pregnancy in the form of Gond ke Ladoos. It is known to have good benefits for pregnant women as well as their babies.
How to consume Gond Katira
- Soak Gond Katira overnight in water.
- The gum will turn into a mishmash of fibrous components the next day.
- Add to a chilled beverage like milkshake or sharbats.
- It can also be added to a variety of Indian desserts such as falooda! It is also used to make ladoos loved by many Indians across the world.
Important: Stir Gond Katira jelly very well in the drink so that there are no lumps.
Note: Gond Katira may cause side effects in some people. Some of the common side effects are-
- It is not recommended for people who are sensitive to the gum.
- It is also known to cause respiratory trouble in some people.
- It may cause choking if not mixed well in the drink. Stir well and break the lumps well before consuming.
Here's a quick summer concoction using the crystalline herb-
Gond Katira Summer Drink
- Gond Katira- 1 small piece
- Lemon- ½ slice or Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Sugar- 1 tbsp
- Water- 1 glass
- Ice- as per your choice
- Soak Gond Katira in water overnight.
- The crystals will turn jelly-like the next day.
- Squeeze lemon. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice into a glass of water.
- Add sugar and Gond Katira jelly. Mix well to break all lumps.
- Add ice cubes.
- Drink the concoction to beat the summer heat.
Looking where to buy Gond Katira online in Canada? We deliver everywhere in Canada.