Dalia is made by cracking a special kind of whole wheat which makes it high in fibers coming from the bran or husk. This helps in weight loss by giving you a feeling of fullness as well as with digestion by preventing constipation. It is also a rich source of proteins and essential vitamis. It is a perfect breakfast that will provide you the energy you need to start your day. It can be enjoyed either sweet with milk or spiced with vegetables. Also called Daliya, Dhaliya or Broken wheat
Dalia or porridge, as it is called in English, is the Indian cracked wheat that makes a nutritious and sumptuous breakfast. It is also known as Bulgur wheat. Dalia has a chewy texture that becomes soft upon cooking.
Health benefits of Dalia
- Dalia is high in fibre, protein, and iron. It contains wheat bran and germ.
- Dalia is also a rich source of carbohydrates, vitamins, and some minerals.
- Dalia also helps one reduce weight as its high fiber content makes people feel fuller for longer periods.
- The high fibre content also prevents constipation.
- Dalia has less fat content and is therefore, a good diet for people who are trying to lower their cholesterol levels.
- It is a good diet for people with diabetes as it has a low glycaemic index and is high in dietary fibers.
How to consume Dalia
Dalia is the ideal breakfast food as it is fibrous and fulfilling. We can cook Dalia as vegetable dalia or sweet dalia.
Let us learn a quick recipe of making sweet Dalia, also called wheat porridge.
Sweet dalia recipe- Serves 4 people
Ghee or cooking oil- 2 tsp.
Sugar- as per taste
Dalia- 1 cup
Milk - 2 cups
Cardamom powder- ½ teaspoon
Almonds and pistachios (well cut)- 1 tablespoon
- Wash Dalia well in clean water.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add the washed dalia and roast on low-medium heat with constant stirring till it starts to turn golden brown. It will take around 1 minute. This is an important step as one must not over roast Dalia (it will become hard).
- Add 2 cups of milk. Cook Dalia in milk with constant stirring till the milk boils. The dalia will soften and not be crisp anymore. Add cardamom powder, sugar, nuts, and raisins and let it simmer for another minute on a low-medium flame, with constant stirring.
- You can refrigerate Dalia once it becomes cool and eat it later or you can even eat it hot.
- This creamy, nutty, and delicious wheat porridge recipe makes for a super healthy breakfast and also a finger-licking dessert.
For a salty dalia breakfast : see this recipe.
Looking where to buy organic dalia online in Canada? We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.
Blé concassé biologique
Le Dalia est fabriqué a partir d'un type particulier de blé entier qui le rend riche en fibres provenant du son ce qui contribue à la perte de poids en vous donnant une sensation de satiété ainsi qu’à la digestion en prévenant la constipation. C'est aussi une excellente source de protéines et de vitamines. C'est un déjeuner parfait qui vous fournira l'énergie dont vous avez besoin pour bien commencer la journée.
Il peut être préparé sucré : faites bouillir 1 partie de dalia avec 2 parties de lait jusqu'à ce que le dalia soit ramolli. Servir chaud avec des noix, des raisins secs, du miel ou du sirop d'érable selon vos préférences.
Pour un petit déjeuner salé de dalia: voir cette recette.