Coriander also known as cilantro, dhania, dhaniya or chinese parsley is an annuel herb from which all the parts are edible. The fresh leaves and the dried seeds are the mos commonly used in cooking. The seeds bring a citrus flavor when crushed. When the seeds are roasted or heated in a dry pan, it increases their flavour and aroma. Coriander seeds is part of the famous Indian spice mix Garam Masala. It is also used as a thickener with cumin seeds in a mixture called dhana jeera.
Organic. Grown without synthetic pesticides & GMOs.
Dhaniya or Coriander seeds comes from coriander plant. With a distinct aromatic flavor they are enjoyed as a mild spice in Indian cooking with vegetables or curries. Also called Coriander Whole or corriander.
Coriander powder commonly called Dhania powder or Peesa Dhania is one of the essential spices that imparts a typical savory taste to Indian recipes.
Coriander powder can also be added as a dry spice in mashed potatoes filling of aloo paratha, as a sprinkle on raita, in curry dishes, rasam, soups, stews, and dry recipes.
Some creative junkies love to add this aromatic powder in pancake and waffle mix as well. Some new variety of breads have coriander seeds as topping.
How is Coriander powder obtained?
Coriander powder is derived by grinding coriander seeds to a fine consistency. To make coriander powder, just roast whole coriander seeds without oil in a thick bottom pan till you get a strong aroma. Next, grind them in an electric grinder for a fine powder. Or, you can even use mortar and pestle to get a coarse coriander powder.
Note: It is best to grind coriander seeds into a powder for a week and then make a fresh powder after you consume it. This will give the best flavor to your recipes.
How to select the best quality coriander powder?
- It is best to buy coriander seeds and then grind them to a fine powder for a perfect taste. Ready-made coriander powder loses its flavor faster compared to the one ground from the seeds.
- While buying coriander seeds, choose the ones that are crisp and fresh. Do not buy seeds that look stale, dull or parched.
- If buying powdered coriander powder, look for a good brand and ensure that the packet is properly sealed.
Health benefits of coriander powder
- Coriander powder when mixed with hing and rock salt is believed to aid in digestion.
- The powder stimulates the appetite by secreting gastric juices.
- Coriander powder is also believed to regulate blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin production.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of coriander powder also boost heart health.
- Coriandrin found in coriander powder also lowers cholesterol levels.
- Coriander powder is rich in antioxidants and therefore, good for skin and hair health.
- Coriander powder also has antimicrobial properties.
How to store coriander powder?
Coriander powder is best stored in an airtight glass container in a cool and dry place. It can last up to four to six months if stored properly.
Graines de coriandre biologiques
La coriandre est une herbe annuelle dont toutes les parties sont comestibles. Les feuilles fraîches et les graines séchées sont les plus utilisées en cuisine. Les graines apportent une saveur d'agrumes lorsqu'elles sont broyées. Lorsque les graines sont rôties ou chauffées dans une poêle sans huile, leur saveur et leur arôme augmentent. Les graines de coriandre font partie du célèbre mélange d'épices indiennes Garam Masala. Elles sont également utilisées comme épaississant avec des graines de cumin dans un mélange appelé Dhana Jeera.
Cultivés sans pesticides ni OGM.