Black Salt (200 gms)
Also called Kala Namak, black Salt is a type of Indian volcanic rock salt commonly used in India, Pakistan and other Asian countries. Indian black salt is considered a cooling spice in ayurvedic medicine and is recommended for many health issues such as constipation, indigestion, heartburn, bloating, flatulence, goiter, poor eyesight and hysteria, according to the book “Herbs that Heal.” In India, black salt is sometimes recommended to people on low-salt diets due to hypertension because it’s believed to be lower in sodium content compared to regular table salt.
As I look back and try to reminisce my growing up years, my mind is inundated with the fond memories of an era that was untarnished by technology. Me and my sister, carrying heavy backpacks from school, would rush into the cool environs of home after braving the scorching summer heat.
My mom with would pamper us with chilled lime water infused with just the right proportion of ingredients and her love. I still remember her adding a pinch of black salt and stirring it to perfection for that amazing flavor.
What a perfect way to beat those summer blues!
I have fond memories of my mom seasoning the dishes with the powdered form of this amazing ingredient. From adding zing to Boondi Raita to flavoring the salad to adding a sprinkle on Lassi, mom knew that this miracle powder was a natural flavor enhancer that came with a host of health benefits.
Black salt or Rock Salt, commonly called Kala Namak, is a pungent smelling salt extracted from the salts found in the regions surrounding the Himalayas.
Also known as Himalayan Black Salt or Indian Black Salt, it is sold in the solid and powdered forms.
The powdered form of Kala Namak is pinkish grey or light purple in color.
Famous for its medicinal properties, Kala Namak is an important ingredient in some Ayurvedic medicines, specially the medicines that are used to treat the diseases related to the digestive system.
Kala Namak is believed to come with hordes of health benefits-
- Antacid- Treats heartburn, acidity, sour stomach and stomach upset
- Digestive stimulant- Benefits in abdominal discomfort and digestive disorders like acidity, flatulence, bloating and obesity
- Fat Burner- Treats bloating
- Anthelmintic- Can be used to treat parasitic worms
- Haematinic- Increases hemoglobin levels and treats anemia
- Hematogenic- Helps in formation of red blood cells
- Controls Blood Pressure- Because of its lower sodium content than the regular salt, Black Salt can be a better option with patients having high BP, or those seeking to reduce sodium levels in their blood
Black Salt versus Regular Salt
- Black Salt has less sodium content than the regular salt.
- It is said to contain less additives than the regular salt.
- It is believed to contain more minerals than the regular salt.
- Sodium content of Black Salt may vary depending upon the brand. It is recommended to check the nutrition label before using it.
- It is not recommended to use black salt over regular salt if you have Iodine deficiency.
- Whether Black Salt is a healthier option than regular salt is still a debatable topic. More research is required to support these claims.
- It is advised to use it in moderation, the dietary amount of Black Salt should not be more than 6 gm. per day.
Our Himalayan Pink Salt Iodized version is ideal for consumption for people having Iodine deficiency.
The lip-smacking Boondi Raita can be prepared by adding a handful of Haldiram’s Salted Boondi into a bowl of whipped yoghurt and seasoning it with coriander leaves, a pinch of Deggi Mirch and a sprinkle of Black Salt.
Looking where to buy Black Salt online in Canada? Looking where to buy Kala Namak online in Canada? We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.