Bikano Bhelpuri (150 gms)
It is a light snack mixture of puffed rice, vegetables, and a tangy tamarind sauce. It is low-fat, nutritious and delicious in taste.
For all those chaat lovers out there, there is no denying the fact that Bhelpuri is among one of the hot favorites. This savory snack is so delicious that one can’t just have enough of it. And the best part is that Bhelpuri has few calories, so you can gorge on it without getting anxious about piling on those extra pounds.
What is Bhelpuri made of?
Bhelpuri has puffed rice, sev, chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander, green chilies, and a tangy tamarind sauce as its main ingredients. The crunchy texture of this snack is oh-so-tempting. Bhelpuri is a hugely popular 'beach snack', especially in Mumbai beaches of Chowpatty and Juhu Beach.
One can eat Bhelpuri just by itself or spread on a bread loaf and enjoy!
The taste of Bhelpuri
The taste of Bhelpuri varies from sweet, salty, tangy to tart and spicy. This burst of flavours makes BHEL such a versatile snack that finds its fan base in people of all age groups.
Here’s a quick recipe for the yummy Bhelpuri!
- Puffed rice (murmura)- 3 cups
- Potatoes (boiled, peeled, and chopped into tiny cubes)- 2 medium
- Onion, finely chopped- 1 medium
- Tomato, finely chopped- 1 medium
- Coriander leaves- 1/2 bunch, finely chopped
- Peanuts- 1/4 cup (roasted and salted)
- Green chilies, finely chopped-1 or 2, or as per taste
- Tamarind chutney and mint-coriander chutney- 2 tablespoons or more, as per taste
- Salt- as per taste
- Sev- 1/3 cups
- Papdi- 1 handful, coarsely crushed
- Take a large bowl and add together puffed rice, chopped onion, diced potatoes, chopped tomato, chopped coriander, peanuts, and green chiles. Mix well.
- Next, add the tamarind and mint-coriander chutney as per your taste.
- Mix the contents well, adding salt as per your taste and tossing again.
- Once done, sprinkle sev and papdi on the top for garnishing. Serve and consume immediately to avoid sogginess.
Some important tips for making the best Bhelpuri
- Prepare the bhel puri and consume immediately to prevent the snack from getting soggy.
- It is best advised to store the puffed rice, sev, and papdi in advance, in air-tight boxes. You can also prepare and refrigerate/freeze the chutneys. This saves you time if you have guests coming over on a short notice. Just toss the ingredients together to dish out this lip smacking street food called Bhelpuri!
Today, many ready to eat Bhelpuris are available with easy-to-follow instructions on the packaging. Haldiram’s Bhelpuri and Bikano Bhelpuri are the most popular ones. Readymade Bhelpuri Chutneys are also available in stores for easy use.