- Horse gram is a legume type lentil that is predominantly grown in the tropical south asian region.
- Horse gram is oval shaped, brown and reddish in colour, flattened and has a glossy texture on the outside.
- It is a prominent ingredient in Ayurvedic cuisine and has immense health benefits by aiding in controlling diabetes, promoting weight loss, improving sperm count, enhancing liver functioning, treating kidney stones, etc.
- Aachi is quite a popular brand in the South Indian masala industry for its wide range of offerings in the spices and ready-to-mix food categories.
- Gently wash the horse gram a couple of times with plain water at room temperature before cooking.
- For better results, soak the dal in water for 4 to 5 hours or even overnight before cooking.
- Usually 1:2 (horse gram:water) ratio works best for cooking.
- Horse gram can be used to make dal recipes, vadas, rasam, stew, salad, etc.
Note - Water ratio may vary on a small scale depending on the cooking mode viz. electric cooker, pressure cooker or open vessel and how well you want the dal to be cooked firm or sticky.
Horse Gram goes by different names in the different states of India viz. Gahat in Nepali, Muthira in Malayalam, Kollu in Tamil, Hulaga in Marathi, Kulith in Konkani, Hurali in Kannada, Kudu in Tulu, Kolatha in Odisha, etc.
Looking where to buy Aachi Horse Gram Roasted online in Canada. We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.