Brahmi powder made from the leaves of Bacopa monnieri is a staple plant in traditional Ayurvedic medicine. Its name is derived from Lord Brahma and Goddess Saraswati.
The plant is a small succulent herb with small light purple or white flowers. The whole Brahmi plant is good for medicinal purposes.
Other common names of Brahmi are thyme-leaved gratiola, water hyssop, and the herb of grace. The plant grows in wet tropical climate regions and thrives well in underwater conditions. For this reason, it is commonly used in aquariums.
Some health benefits of Brahmi
- Powerful antioxidant- Antioxidants help in reducing free radicals that are harmful to our system. The antioxidant properties also help in boosting the immune system if you consume Brahmi regularly.
- Anti-inflammatory properties- Inflammatory conditions like gout and arthritis can be well treated with Brahmi.
- Good for liver health- Compounds present in Brahmi rejuvenate the liver thus fast tracking detoxification. According to a study, consumption of Brahmi also aids in weight loss.
- Brain tonic- Brahmi has a good effect on the hippocampus part of the brain. Therefore, it helps boost your concentration, memory, and intelligence. Certain biochemicals found in Brahmi help rebuild the brain tissues and also reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Relieves stress- Brahmi reduces the levels of cortisol, the stress hormone thus controlling anxiety and stress. A cup of Brahmi tea can also cure insomnia, if consumed regularly.
- Believed to have anticancer properties- Free radicals can mutate to cancer cells. The antioxidant properties of Brahmi help remove free radicals.
- Beauty benefits- Antioxidants present in Brahmi remove toxins from the body and this directly transforms to enhancing your skin complexion. Brahmi oil treats dry scalp, dandruff, hair fall, split ends, and the itchiness of the scalp. Its cooling properties are very soothing for the scalp. Brahmi powder also gives nourishment to your hair and makes it thicker. Brahmi powder is mainly used with amla powder, neem powder, or tulsi powder as a treatment for itchy/dry scalp.
Brahmi supplements are available in powder form as well as in tablet and capsule forms. While consuming the Brahmi powder/tablets suits most people, it may have side effects in some.
Side effects of Brahmi
- Brahmi may cause digestive indisposition such as nausea, stomach cramps, and diarrhea in some people.
- Its safety in pregnant women is not established. Therefore, it is best to take Brahmi powder under the guidance of a health practitioner.
- It may also cause dryness in mouth.
How to consume Brahmi powder?
- One can add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Brahmi powder in warm water with honey to make a soothing tea.
How to use Brahmi for beauty purposes?
1. Brahmi Paste with Rose Water
a. Mix ½-1 teaspoon of Brahmi paste with rose water and apply on clean face.
b. Wash with plain water. Use this paste 2-3 times per week.
2. Brahmi Oil
a. Massage ½-1 teaspoon of Brahmi oil gently on hair and scalp.
b. Oil your hair 1 to 2 times per week.
Looking where to buy Brahmi Powder near you online in Canada? We offer home delivery everywhere in Canada.