Karela also known as bitter bottle gourd is a very special vegetable from India and known to serve incredible health benefits especially in diabetic patients. Many doctors in India recommend patients to eat Karela to reduce the blood sugar levels. It has a very strong bitter flavor which means the first time you eat it you probably won't like it. It is an acquired taste and best enjoyed with India roti or with rice. Courge amère
Karela is a slender, climbing vine with long stalked leaves producing separate yellow male and female flowers. Shana Karela may be used immediately from frozen, making them a tidy and convenient way of enjoying the vegetable at its best.
Our vegetables are frozen close to the time of harvest to ensure they retain a higher level of vitamins and nutrients. Absolutely no water is added during the IQF (Individual Quick Freezing) process, providing you with nature’s best.
Recipe : Crispy Karela
- 300 g Shana Karela
- 4 tbsp. Oil (corn or vegetable)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp. Chilli Powder (to taste)
- 30 g Jaggery (dark muscovado sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. Tumeric powder
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Dhanajeera powder (cumin & coriander mix)
- Paste: Ginger, Green Chillies, Dhanajeera powder, Lemon Juice
- Garnish: Coriander Leaves
- Heat oil in a Karahi or Wok and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add paste and freshly chopped tomato and cook until soft. Then add the Shana Karela and stir.
- Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes before adding the tumeric powder, chilli powder, jaggery and salt.
- Continue to cook and stir the Shana Karela until they turn crisp (approximately 20 minutes)
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.