Ragi, also known as Finger Millet in English and Gierstbloem in Dutch is a nutritious and healthy cereal. Roasted Ragi has a great nutty flavour. Ragi is also known as Madua in Bengali, Bhav in Gujarati), Moothari in Malayalam, Nachni in Marathi, Mandia inOriya, Kezhvaragu in Tamil and Ragulu in Telugu. Also called raagi
Ragi is the talk of the town these days. It is, in fact, among the superfoods that are gaining momentum around the globe. But, what makes this super Millet so special?
Ragi is called Finger millet in English and Gierstbloem in Dutch. The healthy cereal goes by different names in different states; Ragulu in Telugu, Nachani in Marathi, Bhav in Gujarati, and Madua in Bengali.
Ragi is a wholesome food and suitable for all age groups. This superfood has long been used as a traditional baby food, but adults have also become aware of its umpteen benefits.
It is, therefore, a hot favorite among health buffs. Because of its tremendous health benefits, you can add Ragi flour or Ragi grains to a meal daily.
Health benefits of Ragi
- Protein- Ragi is an excellent source of protein. The essential amino acids, such as methionine, found in Ragi are crucial for health and are not commonly found in other grains.
- Fiber- Ragi is a good source of fiber. Consuming Ragi regularly in your diet improves gut health and also aids in weight loss as it keeps you feeling full for longer periods.
- Calcium- The calcium content in Ragi is more than double than in other sources of food.
- Helps control diabetes- The phytochemicals found in the outer coat of Ragi are excellent for regulating blood sugar levels.
- Gluten free- For people suffering from gluten allergy, Ragi is a good substitute as it is gluten-free.
Additionally, Ragi is also believed to have anti-cancer, anti-aging and anti-microbial properties.
How to sprout Ragi?
- Wash the Ragi grains in clean water.
- Soak grains for 8-10 hours.
- Drain out excess water using a wide strainer. Cover the strainer with a porous thin cloth (Muslin). Leave these grains to rest in the strainer for 12-15 hours.
- Within 12-15 hours, the sprouts will start appearing.
- You can season the sprouted Ragi with sauces, black salt, black pepper, and chopped veggies of your choice to relish a super-healthy Ragi salad.
Looking where to buy Aachi Ragi Finger Millet online in Canada? We deliver everywhere in Canada.